- BY Dr. Rajeev's Clinic
SHORTNESS OF BREATH (DYSPNEA)
Shortness of breath it is also called dyspnea in medical term, is a tight feeling in our chest where you may not be able to take a deep breath. This is a symptom that can be linked to many different conditions, like asthma, heart failure and lung disease. History of smoking, infections, anemia, air hunger, difficulty breathing, breathlessness or a feeling of suffocation. Very strenuous exercise, extreme temperatures, obesity anxiety, cold can also make you feel breathlessness and higher altitude all can cause shortness of breath in a healthy person. Shortness of breath is a sign of medical problem Sometimes, shortness of breath can be a sign of a life-threatening medical condition
- Suddenly have trouble breathing.
- Have severe breathlessness (can’t catch your breath).
- Still feel breathless after 30 minutes of rest.
CAUSE OF DYSPNEA
So Many different medical disorders can cause shortness of breath. The most common causes are lung and heart conditions ours. heart and lungs are involved in carry oxygen to our tissues and removing carbon dioxide, and problem with both of these processes affect our breathing. Feeling breathless may be acute, lasting just a few days or less. Other times, it is chronic, lasting longer than three to six months.
- Asthma: a condition in which a person’s airways become inflamed, narrowing of the airways produce extra mucus which make it difficult to breathe it can be minor or depend on our daily activities.
- Heart failure: heart failure can occur they cannot pump (systolic) or fill (diastolic) adequately when heart muscle does not pump blood as well as it need it. insufficient blood flow may cause the skin to appear blue (cyanotic).it is also cause by the high blood pressure, pericarditis, cardiomyopathy
- Lung disease: Damage to lung tissue from diseases such as tobacco smoking- it can cause dyspnea. Tumors, pulmonary edema, such as lung cancer, can also cause shortness of breath.
- Obesity: Being very overweight can strain your lungs and make it difficult to breathe.
- Poor fitness: Being out of shape from inactivity or illness can cause breathlessness.
- Anaphylaxis allergic reaction
- Pneumonia (other pulmonary infection)
- Sudden blood loss
- Pneumothorax (lungs disease) in which condition air leaks into the space between the lungs and chest wall.
- Pulmonary embolism (blood clot in an artery in the lung) when one or more arteries in lungs became blocked by a blood clot.
- Upper airway obstruction (blockage in the breathing passage)
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Pleural effusion
- Broken ribs
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary fibrosis (scarred and damaged lungs)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Epiglottitis (swelling of the lid windpipe)
- GBS ( Guillain barre syndrome) immune system attack the nerves
- Kyphoscoliosis (a chest wall deformity)
- Myasthenia gravis (a condition causing muscle weakness)
HOMEOPATHY TREATMENT FOR DYSPNEA (DIFFICULTY IN BREATHING)
1. Arsenic Album : Dyspnea in Asthma : Arsenic Album is a best medicine for dyspnea for a patient with asthma. Arsenic Album works well when there is difficulty in breathing along with wheezing and constricted air passages. Suffocating attacks are also a symptom in such cases. The symptoms are most disturbing at night. The patient is unable to lie down at night because of the fear of suffocation. The patient may even wake up at night from disturbing dyspnea. A person needing this remedy can feel exhausted yet very restless and anxious. Breathing problems tends to be worse while lying down better when sitting up, and may begin or be the most intense midnight. chilliness is usually seen with burning pains in the chest and heat in the head
2. Blatta Orientalis : This remedy is well suited for shortness of breath due to allergies, cough leading to dyspnea, coughing up mucus with pus. acute cases of asthma in threatened suffocation due to excess mucus in bronchi.
3. Ipecacuanha : This remedy suits asthma with great constriction in the throat and chest accumulation of mucus in bronchi; wheezing cough coryza cough incessant and violent with every breath (bronchitis) ipecac works well in individuals of all ages and genders shortness of breath associated with, bleeding from the lungs with nausea; breathlessness that is relieved by sitting in a room with open windows. whopping cough with epistaxis and bleeding from the mouth. bluish discoloration of face in children.
4. Antimonium Tartaricum : This remedy is especially suited to older and children and adults. Excessive accumulation of mucus /phlegum in throat and chest with great ratting of mucus, cough and dyspnea better by lying on the right side, burning sensation in the chest. great rattling of mucus in the bronchi appears while coughing but very little is expectorated. emphysema of old people
5. lobelia Inflata : The symptom indicated for this remedy include dyspnea from constriction of chest which is more by any exertion, and dyspnea from constriction of the chest; worse any exertion sensation of pressure or weight on the chest, better by walking rapidly feels as if the heart would stop it s an excellent remedy in asthma, dyspnea