- BY Dr. Rajeev's Clinic
Acne or Pimples is a skin condition characterized by whiteheads, blackheads, and inflamed red pimples or "zits."
Acne commonly appears on the face and shoulders, but may also occur on the trunk, arms, legs, and buttocks. It is one of the most common skin conditions. Although acne is not a serious threat to the health, yet it can lead to scarring and disfigurement of the face that can have a significant impact on the patient.
Acne is most common in teenagers, but it can happen at any age, even as an infant. Three out of four teenagers have acne to some extent, probably caused by hormonal changes that stimulate oil production. However, people in their 30s and 40s may also have acne.
Acne tends to run in families and can be triggered by
- Hormonal changes related to menstrual periods, pregnancy, birth control pills, or stress
- Greasy or oily cosmetic and hair products
- Certain drugs (such as steroids, testosterone, estrogen, and phenytoin)
- High levels of humidity and sweating
Despite the popular belief that chocolate, nuts, and other foods cause acne, this does not seem to be true.
- Crusting of skin eruptions
- Inflammation around the skin eruptions
- Redness around the skin eruptions
- Scarring of the skin
Following are the commonly recognized types of Acne
- Acne vulgaris
- Acne rosacea
- Acne fulminans
- Acne medicamentosa
- Acne keloidalis nuchae
Possible complications include
- Changes in skin color
- Damage to self-esteem, confidence, personality, and social life
- Permanent facial scars
- Side effects of Accutane (including very dry skin and mucous membranes, high triglyceride levels, liver damage, and birth defects in an unborn baby; call your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking this drug)
- Side effects of other medications
Take the following self-care steps to lessen the effects of acne
- Clean your skin gently with a mild, non-drying soap with high TFM %. Remove all dirt or make-up. Wash once or twice a day, including after exercising. However, avoid excessive or repeated skin washing.
- Shampoo your hair daily, especially if it's oily. Comb or pull your hair back to keep the hair out of your face. Avoid tight headbands.
- Try not to squeeze, scratch, pick, or rub the pimples. Although it might be tempting to do this, it can lead to scarring and skin infections.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands or fingers.
- Avoid greasy cosmetics or creams. Look for water-based or "non-comedogenic" formulas. Take make-up off at night.
A small amount of sun exposure may improve acne
Homeopathic treatment for Acne is strongly suggested. It helps in the following ways
- Controls the tendency to have acne (often genetic, in severe cases)
- Addresses underlying hormonal disturbance which gives one a proneness to have acne
- Reduces excessive oiliness of skin
- Reduces acne directly
- Controls infection
- Controls scar formation
- Reduces hyperpignementation following acne
- Controls tendency to scar formation following acne
There are acne of granular like eruption, lumpy, red, burning, suppurating postural like eruptions on the face with red areola have an inflamed base that is red, and sensitive. erson is exhausted for his life. Generally acne appears at teen age or in younger age group. Tendency to weight gain, fatty, obese children who are fund of taking more junk foods and fast foods. Person is mentally very exhausted for this big acnes which making him/her to a depression state as because of ugly and dirty looking of facial skin.
A sycotic group of remedy. The acne generally occurs at teen age and more abundantly found on chin and side of nose. The person is of an anxiety, excited and irritable temperament. Sexual desire is increased in women. Bowel motion is not clear of constipated type. Like Nux Vom ineffectual desire for stool with hard, round.
The face is oily, more sebum secretion. The acnes are postular types. Generally acne develops in those who have more coffee addiction. Also taking more fatty foods, meats, more sugars, chocolates aggravates the acne eruption in face. There is more acne before the menstrual cycle. Any sort of emotional distress triggers the development of acne.
The Acnes are of postural, indurate nature. Scars left after the acne heals up. Physical constitution is of obese, younger person. The person is very nervous, depressed, low spirited in nature. The depression is mingled with anxiety and feels as if he would loss his mind. The person feels restless and no sleep at night due to worry or grief from loss of job, loss of business, loss of property, loss of reputation etc.