Amoebiasis, also known amoebic dysentery,Amoebiasis is a infectious disease caused by the parasite Entamoeba histolytica. Amoebiasis is a parasitic infection of the large intestine.Amoebiasis can affect anyone, however, the disease mostly occurs in young to middle aged adults.
- Amoebiasis, sometimes spelt amebiasis, is one of those common diseases, caused by a parasite which infects the bowel casing a type of gastroenteritis infection.
- As Amebiasis is an intestinal illness caused by a microscopic parasite called Entamoeba histolytica, to trace the cause of the disease it is necessary to know what we ate and drank in the previous weeks, and/or where we traveled before we became ill. Entamoeba histolytica parasites are only found in humans.
- Amoebiasis is characterised by non specific diarrhoea with loose, semi formed, foul smelling stools,
- dysentery with mucous, traces of blood and small quantities of stools passed repeatedly.
- an ineffectual urge to defecate again and again, with very little stool actually being passed.
- much flatulence with abdominal cramps.
- In severe cases, the liver and other organs may get affected, causing specific conditions related to organ, e.g., hepatitis, cysts, abscess, etc. The most common symptoms of amoebiasis are diarrhoea (which may contain blood), stomach cramps and fever.
E. histolytica: this is a single-celled protozoan that usually enters the human body when a person ingests cysts through food or water. It can also enter the body through direct contact with fecal matter.
When cysts enter the body, they lodge in the digestive tract. They then release an invasive, active form of the parasite called a trophozite. The parasites reproduce in the digestive tract and migrate to the large intestine. There, they can burrow into the intestinal wall or the colon.
How the Amoebiasis spread
Amoebiasis occurs when Entamoeba histolytica parasites are taken in by mouth and the most common way this happens is by person-to-person spread. Amoebiasis can also be spread by:
- Eating contaminated raw vegetables and fruit
- Unprotected oral-anal sexual contact
- Drinking contaminated water
homeopathy not only helps in treating the acute infection but also helps in preventing it becoming chronic.
Aloe Socotrina – when there is Mucus in Stool
excessive mucus in the stool. The stool is loose, watery and contains excessive mucus. There is a constant bearing down sensation in the stool. The urgency to pass stool is marked, particularly after eating or drinking anything. There is a release of excessive flatus following the evacuation of stool. Sometimes, there is an involuntary passage of stool. A burning sensation in the rectum and anus is also present in most cases.
Merc Sol – when Stool has Blood and Mucus (Dysentery)
Merc Sol is a natural remedy for amoebiasis when stool contains excessive blood and mucus. The stool is watery, greenish and sour smelling. There is a cutting or colicky pain in the abdomen along with dysentery. Extreme weakness attends the gastric symptoms. The person may also feel chilly. In most cases, the symptoms get worse during the evenings.
Colchicum Autumnale – when White Particles Pass in Stool
stol with excessive white shred-like particles. The stool is green or yellow and smells sour. An ineffectual pressing in the rectum, abdominal distension, fatigue and coldness of the body are present. In some cases, there may be tearing and burning pain at the anus.
Colocynthis – For Intense Abdominal Cramps in Amoebiasis
Colocynthis is an effective homeopathic medicine for amoebiasis when a person has severe abdominal cramps. The cramps are slightly better by bending double or by hard pressure on the abdomen. Taking a slight drink or food worsens the cramping pain. Apart from cramps, there may be colicky or cutting pains in the abdomen. The stool is yellowish greenish, frothy with blood streaks.
Ipecacuanha is a natural homeopathic remedy for amoebiasis when there is s persistent nausea along with other gastric symptoms. The stool passed by the patient contains lumps of mucus, blood and has a very rotten smell. Abdominal pain is marked around the navel and may be drawing, cutting, or cramping in nature.
Nux Vomica – For Amoebiasis with Marked Tenesmus
when a person has a constant ineffectual urge to pass stool (tenesmus). Upon going to the toilet, only a little bit of stool passes. Streaks of blood may be present in the stool. The urge for stool is quickly renewed, and there is an unsatisfactory feeling constantly present. A person may also have abdominal pain that gets temporarily better by passing stool. There is often a sharp pain in the rectum after passing stool.