Xeroderma pigmentosum is a hereditary condition of skin where the skin is extremely sensitive to the sun’s uv rays with a high risk of developing cancer and other medical problems.
Signs and symptoms of xeroderma pigmentosum may include:
- Severe sunburn when exposed to only small amounts of sunlight. These often occur during a child's first exposure to sunlight.
- Development of many freckles at an early age
- Rough-surfaced growths (solar keratoses), and skin cancers
- Eyes that are painfully sensitive to the sun and may easily become irritated, bloodshot and clouded
- Blistering or freckling on minimum sun exposure
- Telangiectasia (spider veins)
- Limited growth of hair on chest and legs
- Scaly skin
- Xeroderma (dry skin)
- Irregular dark spots on the skin
- Corneal ulcerations
There is no cure for the disorder; all treatment is symptomatic or preventive. Symptoms can be avoided or controlled by completely avoiding exposure to sunlight, either by staying indoors or wearing protective clothing and using sunscreen when outdoors.
Homoeopathic treatment requires a deep constitutional analysis. The history of the disease, the family medical history, physical and mental characteristics of the patient, the likes and dislikes, medication details are all taken into consideration. This approach stands in consonance with the homoeopathic convention: Well selected Homoeopathic remedies are effective for XERODERMA treatment.
- Petroleum – dry, rough and cracked skin. The skin feels harsh to touch. Petroleum, thus, is the ideal remedy for dry skin in winter season and is of great help in restoring the normal texture of skin
- Sulphur is the best natural remedy for dry, itchy skin. Sulphur is very beneficial in all those cases where the skin is excessively dry and itchy. Itching leads to scratching and itching usually worsens at night.
- The best natural treatment for dry skin with wrinkles is Sarsaparilla. It is a very beneficial treatment when the skin is dry to a great extent with a shrunken and shriveled appearance
- Malandrium is the ideal natural medicine for treatment of skin with cracks on hands and feet. The cracks appearing in winter season respond very well to this medicine.
- Nux moschata is effective for extreme dryness on mucous membrane and skin. The tongue adheres to roof of mouth but no desire for water.