The sundowner’s syndrome is a state of confusion occurring in the late afternoon and lasting into the night. Sundowning can cause different behaviors, such as confusion, anxiety, aggression or ignoring directions. Sundowning can also lead to pacing or wandering.
Sundowning isn't a disease. It's a group of symptoms that occur at a specific time of the day. These symptoms may affect people with Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia. The exact cause of this behavior is unknown.
FACTORS THAT MAY AGGRAVATE LATE-DAY CONFUSION
- Spending a day in an unfamiliar place
- Low lighting
- Increased shadows
- Disruption of the body's "internal clock"
- Difficulty separating reality from dreams
- Being hungry or thirsty
- Presence of an infection such as a urinary tract infection
- Being bored or in pain
TIPS FOR REDUCING SUNDOWNING
- Keep a predictable routine for bedtime, waking, meals and activities.
- Plan for activities and exposure to light during the day to encourage nighttime sleepiness.
- Limit daytime napping.
- Limit caffeine and sugar to morning hours.
- Turn on a night light to reduce agitation that occurs when surroundings are dark or unfamiliar.
- In the evening, try to reduce background noise and stimulating activities, including TV viewing, which can sometimes be upsetting.
- In a strange or unfamiliar setting, bring familiar items — such as photographs — to create a more relaxed, familiar setting.
- Play familiar, gentle music in the evening or relaxing sounds of nature, such as the sound of waves.
Homoeopathy today is a rapidly growing system and is being practiced all over the world. It strength lies in its evident effectiveness as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels. When is concerned there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy , but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient , considering mental and physical symptoms
Few homoeopathic medicine can be thought of in the treatment of sundowner’s Syndrome are:
Lycopodium, nux moschata, carbo veg, silicea, iodum, etc