RECTUS FEMORIS STRAIN
Rectus femoris tendon strain is a tear of the tendon of one of the quadriceps muscles at the front of the thigh. It often occurs at the muscle origin at the front of the hip. rectus femoris muscle is the large quadriceps muscle that runs down the centre of the front of the thigh.
- Injury - sport activities.
- Sudden motions - “explosive” stress like bursting into a sprint
- Forceful kicking activities
- Sudden sharp pain at the front of the hip or groin.
- Swelling and bruising may develop over the site of injury.
- tender when pressing in where the tendon attaches at the front of the hip.
- In case of a complete rupture ,it will be impossible to contract the muscle and a gap or deformity may be visible.
- Bruising may be present at the site of the injury.
- Difficulty straightening the knee
- Rest: avoid the activities that produce the pain
- Ice: apply ice to the tendon or area of inflammation.
- Compression: such as an ace bandage to help take stress off the injured muscle may be useful.
- Elevation: elevate the area to help reduce swelling.
- Crutches for ambulation or moving around may be necessary
- X RAY
- CLINICAL EXAMINATION
- Rhus Toxicodendron –sore muscles caused due to lifting heavy weights. Stiffness, along with sore and painful muscles is also seen. Application of something warm over the affected part may offer some relief. There is also some soreness of the condyles of the bones. The cold fresh air is not tolerated and it makes the skin painful. Tenderness is also felt in the affected muscles.
- Arnica Montana –pain and swelling associated with bruises, aches, and sprains in the muscles. Sore muscles as a result of trauma respond well to Arnica. It is also a good remedy for the sore muscles after previous injuries. There is a sore, lame and bruised feeling in the body. The patient may feel the pain in various muscles as if resulting from being beaten. Touching the affected body part worsens the pain as muscles are tender.
- Bryonia Alba –aching in single muscle and the serous membranes of the organs. sore muscles when relief is brought about by only absolute rest. The slightest motion of the affected part worsens the pain. People requiring Bryonia feel relief when pressure is applied to the affected part. Lying down on the affected part also makes the soreness of the muscles better.
- Cimicifuga - Cimicifuga is a beneficial remedy for sore muscles affecting the central bulge of the large muscles. In such cases, the application of something cold worsens the pain. Cimicifuga is an excellent remedy for sore muscles caused by excessive muscle exertion, like dancing or long, continuous running, etc. Pain in the muscles of the neck from overwork like typing is also treated well with this remedy.
- Gelsemium - Gelsemium is a beneficial remedy for the sore muscles. It is used in cases of extreme weakness and fatigue accompanying muscle soreness. In such cases, the patient gets relief by lying down or resting. Gelsemium helps to relieve the pain in the muscles as well as the weakness along with it. Gelsemium also works well for sore muscles caused by influenza.
- Sanguinaria Canadensis - Sanguinaria Canadensis is a useful remedy for soreness and pain in the deltoid muscle. Along with being painful, the deltoid muscle is also very stiff. The pain worsens on lifting the arm and usually aggravates at night time. Sanguinaria works well for deltoid pain on the right side