POEMS syndrome is a rare blood disorder that damages your nerves and affects other parts of your body.
POEMS STANDS FOR THESE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
Polyneuropathy. Numbness, tingling and weakness in your legs — and over time, maybe in your hands and difficulty breathing. This is an essential feature in the diagnosis of POEMS syndrome.
Organomegaly. Enlarged spleen, liver or lymph nodes.
Endocrinopathy/edema. Abnormal hormone levels that can result in an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), diabetes, sexual problems, fatigue, swelling in your limbs, and problems with metabolism and other essential functions.
Monoclonal-protein. Abnormal bone marrow cells (plasma cells) that produce a protein (monoclonal protein) that can be found in the bloodstream. This is an essential feature in the diagnosis of POEMS syndrome. -Monoclonal-protein is often associated with unusual bone hardening or thickening.
Skin changes. More color than normal on your skin, red spots, possibly thicker skin, and increased facial or leg hair.
CAUSES OF POEMS SYNDROME : -
The cause of POEMS syndrome isn't known. But people with POEMS syndrome have an increased number of plasma cells. These cells produce an abnormal amount of a type of protein, which can damage other parts of the body.
POEMS syndrome can be misdiagnosed because the signs and symptoms mimic those of other disorders. POEMS syndrome progresses rapidly without treatment and can become life-threatening, so early diagnosis is important.
Treatment for POEMS syndrome might improve your symptoms but doesn't cure the condition. The outlook for people with POEMS syndrome has improved greatly over the past decade or so.
HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR POEMS SYNDROME: -
1) Phosphorus: - the medicine is very effective in treating the symptoms and their complications of the disease. Craving for cold food is the characteristic symptom.
2) Agaricus muscarius:- patients who are benefitted by this remedy feel as if they are pierced by needless. The painful site feels numb and cold.
3) Chamomilla: - is prescribed to those who experience unbearable pain associated with numbness and night sweats. Restlessness, stiff neck, paralysis like feeling in feet at night etc are the symptoms.
4) Capsicum annum: - Pain from hips to feet, sleeplessness, pain in far off body parts while coughing,knee pain.
5) Calcarea Phosphorica: - this remedy works well for management of numbness. It is given to children who are peevish, flabby, and tend to have cold arms and legs