OVERACTIVE BLADDER IN MALES
Overactive bladder, causes a frequent and sudden urge to urinate that may be difficult to control. It may feel like you need to pass urine many times during the day and night, and may also experience unintentional loss of urine (urgency incontinence).Overactive bladder refers to a condition where there is a frequent, sudden and unstoppable urge to urinate.This urge to urinate may occur only during the day or during the night; or both. The urinary bladder is a sac-like muscular organ. It stores urine produced by the kidneys until it passes out of the body through the urethra. When the urinary bladder fills up completely, there is an exchange of a series of nerve signals between the urinary bladder, the brain, and the pelvic floor. The coordination between these nerve signals makes the detrusor muscle of the bladder contract, the pelvic floor and the external sphincter of the bladder relax, and helps the urine to drain out. In the case of an overactive bladder, the bladder muscles contract involuntarily and make the person feel the need to pass urine even when the bladder is only slightly filled.
- Feel a sudden urge to urinate that's difficult to control
- Experience unintentional loss of urine immediately after an urgent need to urinate (urgency incontinence)
- Urinate frequently, usually eight or more times in 24 hours
- Wake up more than two times in the night to urinate (nocturia)
Muscle in the urethra called the sphincter opens to release urine out of the body.
Overactive bladder happens when the muscles of the bladder start to contract on their own even when the volume of urine in your bladder is low. These are called involuntary contractions, and they create an urgent need to urinate.
Several conditions may contribute to signs and symptoms of overactive bladder, including:
- Neurological disorders, such as stroke and multiple sclerosis
- Urinary tract infections that can cause symptoms similar to those of an overactive bladder
- Conditions affecting the bladder, such as tumors or bladder stones
- Factors that get in the way of urine leaving the bladder, such as enlarged prostate, constipation or previous surgery to treat incontinence
Any type of incontinence can affect your overall quality of life. If your overactive bladder symptoms cause disruption to your life, you might also have:
- Emotional distress or depression
- Sleep disturbances and interrupted sleep cycles
- Issues with sexuality
1. Kreosotum – Kreosotum is an effective homeopathic medicine for an overactive bladder with a sudden urge to urinate. In such cases, the patient needs to hurry to urinate whenever the urge arises. The frequency of urination is also high. Usually, urine is also highly offensive. Kreosotum is also used in cases where there is involuntary urination on lying down or on coughing.
2. Lycopodium Clavatum – Lycopodium Clavatum is an effective homeopathic medicine for an overactive bladder in cases of frequent urination at night. The quantity of urine in such cases is also very high. There is a feeling of bearing down on the bladder region along with the need to wake up at night because of the urge to urinate. Stitching pain in the bladder is also present in some cases. Lycopodium Clavatum is also helpful in cases of an overactive bladder in males suffering from prostate enlargement.
3. Merc Sol – Merc Sol is an excellent homeopathic medicine for an overactive bladder in cases where there is frequent urination during the day and at night. Every time the urge to urinate arises, the person has to hurry. Any delay causes the urine to leak involuntarily. The urine flow may be scanty or profuse. In some cases, there is a feeling of soreness in the bladder.
4. Causticum – Causticum is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for an overactive bladder in cases where there is an involuntary flow of urine. This symptom can cause a lot of problems when it occurs at night or if the patient is walking. Causticum also helps in strengthening the bladder sphincter and in controlling urinary incontinence.
5.Phosphoric Acid - Phosphoric Acid is helpful when a person passes large amounts of clear, watery urine, mostly at night. Weakness may also occur.
6. Equisetum Hyemale – Equisetum Hyemale is useful when there is a constant feeling of fullness in the urinary bladder. The person passes a large quantity of urine very often, but the fullness is not relieved. Sometimes urine is passed involuntarily both in the day and at night.
7. Sepia Succus - Sepia Succus is a good homeopathic treatment for an overactive bladder in women. It is useful when a female has a sudden and uncontrollable urge to urinate. There is a constant bearing down sensation above the pubis. In most cases, the urine is foul smelling and may contain sediments.
8. Petroselinum - Burning, tingling, from perineum throughout whole urethra; sudden urging, to urinate; frequent, voluptuous tickling in fossa navicularis. Gonorrhśa, sudden, irresistible desire to urinate, intense biting, itching, deep in urethra; milky discharge.