Muscle atrophy is the loss or thinning of your muscle tissue. If you have atrophied muscles, you’ll see a decrease in your muscle mass and strength. With muscle atrophy, your muscles look smaller than normal. Muscle atrophy can occur due to malnutrition, age, genetics, a lack of physical activity or certain medical conditions. Disuse (physiologic) atrophy occurs when you don’t use your muscles enough. Neurogenic atrophy occurs due to nerve problems or diseases.
The symptoms of muscle atrophy differ depending on the cause of your condition. The most obvious sign of muscle atrophy is reduced muscle mass. Other signs of muscle atrophy may include:
- One arm or one leg is smaller than the other.
- Weakness in one arm and or one leg.
- Numbness or tingling in your arms and legs.
- Trouble walking or balancing.
- Difficulty swallowing or speaking.
- Facial weakness.
- Gradual memory loss.
The cause of muscle atrophy depends on the type you have. Disuse (physiologic) atrophy is caused by not using your muscles enough. If you stop using your muscles, your body won’t waste the energy it needs to take care of them. Instead, your body will start to break your muscles down, which causes them to decrease in size and strength. Disuse atrophy may affect you if you:
- Lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- Are malnourished.
- Don’t get enough exercise.
- Sit at a desk job all day.
- Are on best rest.
- Have a genetic disorder such as muscular dystrophy or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
- Can’t move your limbs due to a stroke or other conditions such as dermatomyositis.
- Have age-related atrophy (sarcopenia).
Homoeopathy today is a rapidly growing system and is being practiced all over the world. It strength lies in its evident effectiveness as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels. When is concerned there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy, but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient , considering mental and physical symptoms
Few homoeopathic medicine can be thought of in the treatment of muscles atrophy are:
arsenic alb., calcarea carb., causticum, thallium, etc.