Chancroid is a bacterial condition that causes open sores on or around the genitals. It’s a type of sexually transmitted infection (STI), which means it’s transmitted through sexual contact.
Chancroid causes ulcers with soft edge which form on genitals. You may also have swelling and pain in the lymph nodes of your groin region. Chancroid is the disease, not the sore. In chancroid, you’ll have a soft chancre (ulcer). These are often painful and red. They don’t have hard edges and they may leak pus
- Raised and painful bumps on the skin of your genitals.
- Ulcers with ragged soft edges that develop from these bumps.
- Reddened and shiny skin on the sores.
- Leakage of pus and infectious fluid.
- Spreading and connecting of these sores into larger areas.
- pain during sexual intercourseor while urinating
- ulcers have a soft center that’s gray to yellowish-gray with defined, or sharp, edges.
CAUSES: Chancroid is a very contagious bacterial disease spread by sexual contact. The bacterium that causes chancroid is called Haemophilus ducreyi (H. ducreyi).
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS:
Sometimes culture or polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
COMPLICATIONS: Inguinal lymph nodes become tender, enlarged, and matted together, forming a pus-filled abscess (bubo). The skin over the abscess may become red and shiny and may break down to form a sinus. The infection may spread to other areas of skin, resulting in new lesions. Phimosis, urethral stricture, and urethral fistula may result from chancroid.
1. Merc Sol – Merc Sol is well indicated to treat chancre in cases of primary syphilis. The chancre may be single or several small ones on the penis in cases needing Merc Sol. The chancres have a cheesy bottom and inverted red edges. The chancre may be painful and bleed easily. There may be secretion of pus or yellow fetid discharge from chancres. Inguinal region is painful while walking. There is a pain in inguinal glands on pressure.
2. Cinnabaris – Cinnabaris is useful for cases of syphilis with red, swollen chancre. The edges of chancre are hard and elevated. The chancre is located in the middle of the penis in cases where Cinnabaris is indicated. The chancre is most times indurated.
3. Kali Iodatum – Kali Iodatum is helpful for syphilis with deep chancres. The edges of chancre are hard. Thin discharge may be present which has an offensive odour. There may be tendency to slow suppuration in the chancre. The glans penis is swollen.
4. Merc Cor – Merc Cor is indicated for chancre which is soft. The margins are dark red. The chancre is painful and it may bleed easily. There may be a discharge of thin pus from the chancre. The surrounding part of chancre is swollen with heat.
5. Syphilinum – Syphilinum is a beneficial medicine for secondary syphilis with a prominent rash on skin. The rash is prominent on the forehead, chin, front of chest and arms. An excess of fine scales peel off from it. In some cases copper – colored maculae from top of head to foot appears. Biting sensation in different body areas is felt at night. Along with this, there is fever with excessive headache. Body is extremely cold with desire to be covered. Appetite is lost. Sore throat, inflamed pharynx, and ulcers in the throat may also appear.
6. Nitric Acid – Nitric Acid is indicated for secondary syphilis with skin eruptions having prickling and itching on the skin. It is also indicated for warts like growths on genitals and anus. The growths are large, jagged, and often pedunculated. There is prominent sticking and pricking in them. They are painful to touch. Sometimes they bleed on washing.
7. Phosphorus – Phosphorus is a valuable medicine for managing complaint of hair fall in cases of syphilis. Hair fall is excessive in cases needing Phosphorus. The hair loss is general or in patches. The scalp is dry. A heated sensation is also felt in the scalp. Violent itching on the scalp may be present.
8. Thuja – Thuja is an excellent medicine to treat wart-like growths in syphilis cases. In males, these growths appear on glans, penis, perineum. They may be painful especially on walking. In females the growths may be there on labia, vulva, vagina. They may have stinging pains and may also bleed. Warts may be also present on the anus in males and females needing Thuja. These warts are painful and sensitive to touch.
9. Phytolacca – Phytolacca is prepared from a plant named Phytolacca decandra commonly known as poke – root or red ink plant. The natural order of this plant is Phytolaccaceae. Phytolacca is indicated for syphilis to manage sore throat. The throat is darkened, is painful, raw, rough and dry. Tonsils are bluish or dark purple in color. Swallowing is painful. Pain from the throat may extend to ears. There is marked burning and smarting felt in the throat. Scraping sensation and excoriation are felt in the throat. Ulcers tend to appear on tonsils.