It is a disorder in which the tongue is larger than normal.The tongue appears larger and thicker in size .
It can be congenital or acquired. Congenital macroglossia is an uncommon condition usually diagnosed at birth but can present in the first few years of life.
Few causative factors are as followed :
- Acromegaly (buildup of too much growth hormone in the body)
- Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome (growth disorder that causes large body size, large organs, and other symptoms)
- Congenital hypothyroidism (decreased production of thyroid hormone)
- Diabetes (high blood sugar caused by body producing too little or no insulin)
- Down syndrome (extra copy of chromosome 21, which causes problems with physical and intellectual functioning)
- Lymphangioma or hemangioma (malformations in the lymph system or buildup of blood vessels in the skin or internal organs)
- Mucopolysaccharidoses (a group of diseases that cause large amounts of sugar to build up in the body's cells and tissues)
- Primary amyloidosis
Diagnosis : clinical examination
HYDRASTIS- Tongue white, swollen, large, flabby, slimy; shows imprint of teeth
MER SOL-Tongue heavy, thick; moist coating; yellow, flabby,