Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) generally refers to a disorder in which there is severe and persistent tiredness, which is not relieved by rest.
As the name suggests, it is a state of chronic fatigue that exists without any cause for more than six months and is accompanied by difficulties in short-term memory and/or concentration.
Chronic fatigue syndrome affects approximately ten people among thousands of people.
This condition occurs most commonly in young to middle-aged adults.
It occurs more commonly in females than in males.
CAUSES OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
Though the exact cause of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is unidentified some theories suggest CFS may be due to some viral infection or due to the altered immune system.
SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
Generally, the symptoms of CFS are similar to those of the flu and other common viral infections, which include
- Extreme fatigue. A new onset of unexplained, continual fatigue which is unrelated to exertion and not significantly relieved by rest, which also causes a considerable reduction in previous activity levels.
- Muscle Pain
- Pain in multiple joints
- Impaired short-term memory or concentration
- Extreme and prolonged exhaustion after physical or mental exertions
- Not refreshing sleep
DIAGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
There are no specific laboratory tests for the diagnosis of CFS, The clinical finding and symptomatology often help to diagnose and exclude the possibilities of other diseases.
CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME AND HOMEOPATHY
Chronic fatigue syndrome can be effectively treated with homeopathy.
The medicines are selected in homeopathy on the basis of patients individual symptoms pertaining to fatigue, the factors leading to it such as exertion, body position, time of the day; besides the emotional factors, food habits, as well as the preceding ailment such as some viral infection, etc.
As many people with CFS have depression and other psychological disorders that may improve with the constitutional and holistic individualistic approach of homeopathic treatment.
The combined action of constitutional Homoeopathy Treatment and some simple but effective process like Sleep management techniques, light exercise; healthy diet can give a very good and effective result in treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Homeopathy is strongly recommended for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
- Gelsemium: Indicated by weakness with drowsiness, dizziness, dullness and trembling. Muscle aches with heaviness and weakness. Tremors and twitching of the muscles may also be a feature. The sufferer might have a dull heaviness in the head and have blurred vision, feel worse in damp, cold weather and mentally be dull with a lot of anxiety. A strange symptom with Gelsemium is that symptoms are better for profuse urination.
- Kali phosphoricum: Possibly one of the most widely used remedies for CFS, especially if the illness follows a bout of influenza. The mental symptoms of Kali phosphoricum are anxiety with depression, insomnia and nightmares. The anxiety may present as a fear of crowds and agoraphobia. Loss of memory might be a problem. There is muscle weakness and aches and pains, all worse with exercise, the cold and mental effort. The symptoms are better from sleep, eating and gentle movement. A suitable dose might be 6c twice daily, reducing with improvement.
- Mercurius solubilis: Also known in the abbreviated form Merc sol, this is often a good remedy for acute glandular fever (caused by the Epstein-Barr virus). If those symptoms become more chronic and result in CFS, then Merc sol may still be a good medicine to give. The patient may have a persistent sore throat with enlarged cervical lymph nodes (glands) and have a lot of salivation. They may also be sensitive to both heat and cold. Insomnia with great restlessness at night and nightmares may also be a feature. The muscle pains will be deep with tender bones. As with Kali phosphoricum there may be loss of memory and poor recall of names.