Also known as proteasome-associated auto inflammatory syndrome 1 (PRAAS1), is a rare genetic disorder that falls under the broader category of auto inflammatory diseases. Auto inflammatory diseases are characterized by recurrent episodes of inflammation in various parts of the body, which can lead to symptoms such as fever, skin rashes, joint pain, and other systemic manifestations. Unlike autoimmune diseases, which involve the immune system attacking the body's own tissues, auto inflammatory diseases result from dysregulation of the innate immune system.
CAUSES OF CANDLE SYNDROME
Specifically involves mutations in the PSMB8 gene, which codes for a subunit of the proteasome, a cellular structure responsible for breaking down proteins. Mutations in this gene lead to a malfunction in the proteasome's functioning, causing a buildup of certain proteins in cells and triggering inflammation.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF CANDLE SYNDROME
- Persistent fever: Individuals with CANDLE syndrome often experience recurrent and prolonged episodes of fever.
- Skin rashes: Skin manifestations such as raised rashes, ulcers, and reddening can occur.
- Lipodystrophy: This refers to the loss of fat tissue in various parts of the body, leading to changes in appearance and potential complications.
- Muscle weakness: Progressive muscle weakness and muscle wasting are common.
- Joint contractures: Joints can become stiff and immobile due to inflammation and tissue damage.
- Systemic involvement: CANDLE syndrome can affect various organs, leading to symptoms like enlarged liver and spleen, and lung problems.
DIAGNOSIS OF CANDLE SYNDROME
Is often based on clinical symptoms, genetic testing to identify mutations in the PSMB8 gene, and exclusion of other similar conditions.
FEW HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE FOR CANDLE SYNDROME
- Arsenicum Album: This remedy is often recommended for conditions involving weakness, fatigue, and restlessness. It is also sometimes used for autoimmune disorders with symptoms of burning pain and restlessness.
- Natrum Muriaticum: This remedy is often considered for individuals with autoimmune conditions who are emotionally reserved and prone to holding in their emotions. It is suggested for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.
- Rhus Toxicodendron: This remedy is thought to be helpful for conditions involving joint pain and stiffness that worsen with initial movement and improve with continued motion. It is sometimes used for autoimmune disorders affecting the joints.
- Sulphur : Sulphur is believed by some homeopathic practitioners to be a remedy for various skin-related symptoms that can accompany autoimmune diseases, such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Causticum: This remedy is often recommended for autoimmune conditions that involve muscle weakness, stiffness, and contraction of tendons.
- Lachesis: Lachesis is sometimes suggested for autoimmune disorders with symptoms of heat, inflammation, and aggravation from touch or pressure.
- Thuja Occidentalis: This remedy is sometimes considered for autoimmune conditions with skin manifestations, warts, or other growths.