Blepharospasm is a neurologic disorder that causes uncontrollable muscle movements that causes the eyelids to close or have difficulty opening (dystonia).
Blepharospasm is a type of focal dystonia characterized by twitching/spasm/ involuntary contraction of the eyelid muscles causing closure of the lids. Blepharospasm begins as increased blinking of eyes, or mild twitches or just as eye irritation. In some cases, fatigue, sensitivity to bright light, dry eyes, blurred vision may also be present. Homeopathic remedies for Blepharospasm help relax the muscles of eyelids and gradually reduce the frequency and intensity of eyelid twitching and spasms.
- Constant blinking.
- Dry eyes.
- Eye narrowing.
- Tired, irritated eyes.
- Difficulty keeping your eyes open.
The cause behind blepharospasm is still not clear. However, it is thought to arise due to the abnormal functioning of the basal ganglia. Genetics and heredity are also thought to play a role in the development of blepharospasm. Some of the risk factors for blepharospasm are head or facial trauma, family history of dystonia and medication used to treat Parkinson’s disease. Women are more likely to get blepharospasm as compared to men. Fatigue, bright light, stress, anxiety, wind, and air pollution tend to worsen the blepharospasm. Minor twitching of eyelids is frequently related to stress, fatigue, use of caffeine/tobacco and lack of sleep. But in certain cases, it can be related to blepharitis, dry eyes and conjunctivitis also. It can also be related to certain conditions that include Tourette’s syndrome, Bell’s palsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and cervical dystonia.
People with certain medical conditions can get blepharospasm. These conditions include:
- General dystonia.
- Meige syndrome.
- Tardive dyskinesia.
- Wilson's disease.
Clinical examination helps to diagnose this case.
1. Agaricus : - Agaricus tops the list of medicines for treating blepharospasm. Agaricus is indicated for twitching, jerking, quivering and spasms of the eyelids. The spasms are frequent where eyelids open and close numerous times a day. The twitching may be most worse while reading. Sensitivity to light may also be noted with above. Sometimes watering from eyes appears with spasms and twitching of eyelids.
2. Zincum Met : - Zincum Met is a beneficial medicine for treating twitching of eyelids. Upper eyelids tend to feel heavy. Intense fatigue and weakness is a prominent attending feature. Zincum Met is a great nervous remedy and is also indicated for the treatment of facial twitches and tics in addition to twitching of eyelids.
3. Physostigma : - Physostigma is prepared from the bean of a plant Physostigma venenosum commonly known as calabar bean of the natural order Leguminosae. Physostigma is helpful for cases of blepharospasm, twitching of eyelids attended with blurred vision. The contraction in lids makes it difficult to open the eyes. Pain in eyes from moving them may also appear in a few cases.
4. Euphrasia:- Euphrasia is prepared from a plant Euphrasia Officinalis commonly known by the name of eye-bright of the natural order Scrophulariaceae. Euphrasia is helpful for cases of blepharospasm when photophobia (sensitivity to light) attends spasm of lids. Euphrasia is also useful for twitching eyelids cases linked with pink eye/conjunctivitis. In such cases, redness, discharge, itching, grittiness in eyes is also prominent.
5. Magnesia Phos : - Magnesia Phos is another excellent medicine for treating eyelid spasm and twitches. Squinting may be present with this. Sensitivity to light, photophobia may also be present. Increased lachrymation, tired eyes and blurred vision are some other symptoms that may be present.
6. Codeinum:- Codeinum is a well-indicated medicine for eyelid twitching that appears while reading and writing. The twitching appears in both the eyelids in cases needing Codeinum. Rubbing eyelids may help to relieve the eye twitching.
7. Sulphur :- Sulphur is a prominently indicated medicine for blepharospasm when it is worse in the morning time. The eyelids are drawn together from a spasm in morning hours. Attending blepharitis of chronic nature may be present where Sulphur is needed. In such cases itching, burning and a smarting in the eyelid margin with an inclination to rub it is marked.
8. Hepar Sulph :- Hepar Sulph is indicated for blepharospasm when it is worse in the evening and night. Eyelids are spasmodically closed. Eyelids may also be swollen and sensitive to touch. In day photophobia may be present.
9. Calcarea Carb :- Calcarea Carb is a useful medicine for quivering, twitching, spasm of eyelids. The quivering and twitching is marked in the upper eyelid where Calcarea Carb is indicated. Heat or burning sensation in the eyelids may attend. Spasm of eyelid arises that may be attended with light sensitivity.
10. Merc Sol :- Merc Sol is indicated for severe cases of blepharospasm. In cases requiring Merc Sol, the eyelids get into spasm and contracts intensely. The eyelids close and open with great difficulty. The eyelids may be sensitive to touch.
11. Belladonna : - Belladonna is prepared from the plant Deadly Nightshade of the natural order Solanaceae. Belladonna offers help for twitching eyelids attended with dry eyes. Heat in the eyes is also felt. Irritation and a gritty sensation in the eyes also appear.