BLACK HAIRY TONGUE
Black hairy tongue is a temporary, harmless oral condition that gives the tongue a dark, furry appearance. The distinct look usually results from a buildup of dead skin cells on the many tiny projections (papillae) on the surface of the tongue that contain taste buds. These papillae, which are longer than normal, can easily trap and be stained by bacteria, yeast, tobacco, food or other substances.
Signs and symptoms of black hairy tongue include:
- Black discoloration of the tongue, although the color may be brown, tan, green, yellow or white
- A hairy or furry appearance of the tongue
- Altered taste or metallic taste in your mouth
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Gagging or tickling sensation, if the overgrowth of the papillae is excessive.
Black hairy tongue typically results when projections on the tongue called papillae grow longer because they don't shed dead skin cells like normal. This makes the tongue look hairy. Debris, bacteria or other organisms can collect on the papillae and result in discoloration.
Although the cause of black hairy tongue can't always be determined, possible causes or contributing factors include:
- Changes in the normal bacteria or yeast content of the mouth after antibiotic use
- Poor oral hygiene
- Dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Regular use of mouthwashes containing irritating oxidizing agents, such as peroxide
- Tobacco use
- Drinking excessive amounts of coffee or black tea
- Excessive alcohol use
- Eating a soft diet that doesn't help to rub dead skin cells from your tongue
Homoeopathy today is a rapidly growing system and is being practiced all over the world. It strength lies in its evident effectiveness as it takes a holistic approach towards the sick individual through promotion of inner balance at mental, emotional, spiritual and physical levels. When is concerned there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy , but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient , considering mental and physical symptoms
Few homoeopathic medicine can be thought of in the treatment of black hairy tongue are:
merc. cyn, chlorinum, lycopodium, bryonia, arsenic alb., carbo veg., etc.