It is a hormonal disorder, due to excess secretion of growth hormone (GH) and occurs in middle-aged adults.
This hormone is normally secreted by the 'Pituitary', a gland situated deep within the brain. Whenever there is increased secretion of GH, the clinical condition is called acromegaly in which there is enlarged extremities).
A similar excess occurring if occurring in childhood causes the condition 'gigantism'.
EARLY SYMPTOMS: -
- Enlarged hands and feet.
- Shoes do not fit, rings on fingers become tight.
- Changes in facial features
- Protrusion of lower jaw
- Enlarged nose
- Thickened lips
- Teeth show wider spacing.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS SEEN AS THE DISORDER PROGRESSES:
- Coarse, oily, thickened skin
- Excessive sweating and body odor
- Small outgrowths of skin tissue (skin tags)
- Fatigue and muscle weakness
- A deepened, husky voice due to enlarged vocal cords and sinuses
- Severe snoring due to obstruction of the upper airway
- Impaired vision
- Enlarged tongue
- Pain and limited joint mobility
- Menstrual cycle irregularities in women
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Enlarged liver, heart, kidneys, spleen and other organs
- Increased chest size (barrel chest)
These tumors are almost always non-cancerous and benign, called 'adenomas'
This tumor secrets an excess amount of growth hormone which causes most of the symptoms.
Some symptoms of impaired vision and headaches are caused due to the tumor growing in size and pressing on nearby brain tissues.
Tumors present elsewhere in the body (pancreas, lungs, and adrenal glands) begin to secrete growth hormone resulting in excess hormone circulation.
Growth Hormone suppression test.
GH & IGF-I measurements.
Imaging- CT and MRI scans can pinpoint the locations of pituitary as well as non-pituitary tumors.
Homeopathy system does not have significant treatment for Acromegaly. However, homeopathy can successfully treat some of the end results of the disease process.
- MER SOL
- NAT SULPH
- BARYTA CARB
- CAL CARB
- NAT CARB