(PHLEGM) MUCUS STUCK IN THROAT
Phlegm is that thick, sticky stuff that hangs around in the back of your throat.
Phlegm is a type of mucus that comes from the lungs and respiratory tract, it is basically a defense mechanism to prevent entry of allergens and dust.
Phlegm is clear, thin in appearance generally, phlegm can become thickened and change in color due any underlying causes.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHLEGM:
Clear - Clear phlegm is typical,most of it goes down the back of the throat, before a person swallows it.
Brown and black - Brown phlegm may indicate possible bleeding. While it is likely due to bleeding that happened a while ago, it can also indicate a chronic infection such as bronchitis. People who smoke may also have brown phlegm.
White - White phlegm signifies nasal congestion. When the nasal cavity is congested, the tissues are swollen and inflamed, which slows the passage of phlegm through the respiratory tract. When this happens, the phlegm cus becomes thicker and cloudy or white.
Yellow - Yellow phlegm suggests that immune cells are starting to work at the site of the infection or another type of inflammatory condition.
Green- Green phlegm indicates a widespread and robust immune response. The white blood cells, germs, and other cells and proteins that the body produces during the immune response give the phlegm its green color ,with breathing difficulties, chest pain, or coughing up blood,.
Red- signals the presence of blood , lot of coughing, such as with a respiratory infection, can sometimes cause small blood vessels in the lungs or airways to break and bleed ,swelling in a person’s nasal passage, they can get a nosebleed,This can cause blood to seep into postnasal drip that they then cough out.
1. Argentum Nitricum - It gives great results for phlegm in throat accompanied by intense hawking. The mucus in the throat is thick, and there are rawness and roughness in the throat. Splinter-like sensation in the throat may also be present. Other symptoms are a burning feeling and dryness in the throat and the fauces.
2. Kali Bichrom – Phlegm is tough and stringy. It sticks to the throat and detaches with much difficulty. The throat is also red and inflamed. A cough may arise from sticky phlegm in the throat. Relaxation of the uvula is also a possibility. Kali Bichrome is an excellent treatment for cases of phlegm in the throat caused by sinusitis. In such situations, a post nasal drip of mucus in the throat is the most prominent symptom.
3. Kali Carb – It is an excellent remedy in cases where the phlegm in the throat is hard to swallow or hawk up. The phlegm remains stuck in the throat. Its accumulation is worse in the mornings and is also accompanied by a hard cough. There is also tickling in the throat which leads to a cough. The phlegm in the throat is like a lump and is unpleasant in nature. There can also be a stinging or stitching pain in the throat.
4. Argentum Metallicum - The complaint of phlegm in the throat of persons from overuse of voice – like singers and public speakers – is successfully cured with Argentum Metallicum. Symptoms include the need to hem and hawk while talking. The phlegm expectorated is gelatinous and sticky, like boiled starch, and is most commonly and freely coughed up in the morning. Another prominent symptom is hoarseness of voice.
5. Kali Mur-great value in catarrhal affections, in sub-acute inflammatory states, fibrinous exudations, and glandular swellings. White or gray coating of base of tongue, and expectoration of thick, white phlegm, seem to be special guiding symptoms
6. Pulsatilla - Discharges thick, bland, and yellowish-green. Yellow or white tongue, covered with a tenacious mucus.
7.Phosphorus- Sputa rusty, blood-colored, or purulent. Tuberculosis in tall, rapidly-growing young people. Do not give it too low or too frequently here, it may but hasten the destructive degeneration of tubercular masses. Repeated hæmoptysis. Pain in throat on coughing.
9. Psorinum – Extreme sensitiveness to cold. Debility, Offensive discharges. Secretions have a filthy smell, gives immunity from cold-catching, Hawking up of cheesy, pea-like balls of disgusting smell and taste.