Borderline personality disorder is a mental health disorder that impacts the way we think and feel about ourself and others, causing problems functioning in everyday life. It includes self-image issues, difficulty managing emotions and behavior, and a pattern of unstable relationships.
With borderline personality disorder, we have an intense fear of abandonment or instability, and we may have difficulty tolerating being alone. Yet inappropriate anger, impulsiveness and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though we want to have loving and lasting relationships.
Borderline personality disorder usually begins by early adulthood. The condition seems to be worse in young adulthood and may gradually get better with age.
If we have borderline personality disorder, don't get discouraged. Many people with this disorder get better over time with treatment and can learn to live satisfying lives.
CAUSES OF BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
As with other mental health disorders, the causes of borderline personality disorder aren't fully understood. In addition to environmental factors ,such as a history of child abuse or neglect borderline personality disorder may be linked to:
- Genetics-Some studies of twins and families suggest that personality disorders may be inherited or strongly associated with other mental health disorders among family members.
- Brain abnormalities-Some research has shown changes in certain areas of the brain involved in emotion regulation, impulsivity and aggression. In addition, certain brain chemicals that help regulate mood, such as serotonin, may not function properly.
SYMPTOMS OF BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
Borderline personality disorder affects how we feel about ourself, how we relate to others and how we behave.
Signs and symptoms may include:
- An intense fear of abandonment, even going to extreme measures to avoid real or imagined separation or rejection
- A pattern of unstable intense relationships, such as idealizing someone one moment and then suddenly believing the person doesn't care enough or is cruel
- Rapid changes in self-identity and self-image that include shifting goals and values, and seeing themselves as bad or as if we don't exist at all
- Periods of stress-related paranoia and loss of contact with reality, lasting from a few minutes to a few hours
- Impulsive and risky behavior, such as gambling, reckless driving, unsafe sex, spending sprees, binge eating or drug abuse, or sabotaging success by suddenly quitting a good job or ending a positive relationship
- Suicidal threats or behavior or self-injury, often in response to fear of separation or rejection
- Wide mood swings lasting from a few hours to a few days, which can include intense happiness, irritability, shame or anxiety
- Ongoing feelings of emptiness
- Inappropriate, intense anger, such as frequently losing temper, being sarcastic or bitter, or having physical fights
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
1. CHAMOMILLA : Useful for borderline Personality Disorder who easily get angry and quarrelsome without taking into account the feelings of the other person. Very useful when there is sudden outbursts of anger because of contradiction or when there feelings are hurt .Useful for the patients who admit that they are unable to control their temper and those who want to do everything as per their wish and get angry if their wish is not fulfilled.
2. MOSCHUS : Useful for Borderline Personality Disorder with sudden outbursts of anger in patients . There is sudden fits of anger and even scold others till their face turns blue and they faint and fall down.Useful for sudden outbursts of anger accompanied by trembling and uncontrollable laughter. Very useful for obstinate and self-willed persons who right from their childhood have the habit of getting each and every demand fulfilled by hook or by crook. This habit continues in advancing years and outbursts of anger increase in intensity if their desire or demand is not met.
3. CROCUS SATIVA : Useful for Borderline Personality Disorder when there is sudden mood changes in patients . There is sudden and frequent change in mood from extreme happiness to sadness. Best suited for the patient who is joyous and affectionate in a specific moment and the very next moment unpredictably bursts out into anger. The patient very soon feels sorry for this behavior.
4. LILIUM TIG : Useful for Borderline Personality Disorder who get aroused from even a slight emotional excitement with palpitations of heart.Useful for patients who is irritable that they cannot utter a decent word to anybody even if the other person speaks in the mildest tone possible. The patients are known to sit for a long time thinking about themselves and don’t want to be disturbed. They get extremely irritated if disturbed and run away and even forcefully shut the doors.