COMPLICATIONS OF CHLAMYDIA
Chlamydia trachomatis can be associated with:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)-PID is an infection of the uterus and fallopian tubes that causes pelvic pain and fever. PID can damage the fallopian tubes, ovaries and uterus, including the cervix.
- Infection near the testicles (epididymitis)- A chlamydia infection can inflame the coiled tube located beside each testicle (epididymis). The infection can result in fever, scrotal pain and swelling.
- Prostate gland infection- Rarely, the chlamydia organism can spread to a man's prostate gland. Prostatitis can cause pain during or after sex, fever and chills, painful urination, and lower back pain.
- Infections in newborns-The chlamydia infection can pass from the vaginal canal to child during delivery, causing pneumonia or a serious eye infection.
- Ectopic pregnancy- This occurs when a fertilized egg implants and grows outside of the uterus, usually in a fallopian tube. The pregnancy needs to be removed to prevent life-threatening complications, such as a burst tube. A chlamydia infection increases this risk.
- Infertility-Chlamydia infections even those that produce no signs or symptoms can cause scarring and obstruction in the fallopian tubes, which might make women infertile.
- Reactive arthritis- People who have Chlamydia trachomatis are at higher risk of developing reactive arthritis, also known as Reiter's syndrome. This condition typically affects the joints, eyes and urethra the tube that carries urine from our bladder to outside of our body.
PREVENTION OF CHLAMYDIA
The surest way to prevent chlamydia infection is to abstain from sexual activities. Short of that, one can:
- Use condoms- Use a male latex condom or a female polyurethane condom during each sexual contact. Condoms used properly during every sexual encounter reduce but donot eliminate the risk of infection.
- Limit your number of sex partners. Having multiple sex partners puts at a high risk of contracting chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections.
- Get regular screenings. If some one sexually active, particularly multiple partners, do regular screening for chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections.
Avoid douching. Douching decreases the number of good bacteria in the vagina, which can increase the risk of infection.
Sepia – To Manage Vaginal Discharge
Sepia is highly beneficial to manage vaginal discharge in cases of chlamydia infection. It can be used when the vaginal discharge is yellow, greenish, clear like water or milky white coloured. The vaginal discharge may get worse after urinating. The discharge may be acrid and excoriating in nature causing a burning sensation in the vagina. Itching in vagina is also marked. The discharge may have a fetid odour too. Frequent urging to urinate is also present with above symptoms. Bearing down pains in pelvis are marked. Other attending complaint is painful coition.
Kreosote – For Offensive Vaginal Discharge
Kreosote is an excellent medicine to treat offensive vaginal discharge in chlamydia infection. The vaginal discharge has a putrid odour. The colour of discharge may be yellow or white. The discharge is acrid, corrosive in nature causing much itching in genitals. Soreness and burning in genitals after scratching arises. Stitching pain and smarting sensation in vagina may appear too. The discharge tend to get worse on standing or walking. Great weakness appears along with the above symptoms.
Natrum Mur – To Manage Complaint of Painful Intercourse in Females
Natrum Mur is very useful to manage complaint of painful intercourse in females suffering from chlamydia. Along with pain burning and smarting sensation is felt in the vagina during coition. Soreness and itching in vagina may also attend. Dryness of vagina may be there or in some cases vaginal discharges are prominent. The discharges tend to be transparent, watery and very profuse. Intense debility appears along with copious vaginal discharges.
Argentum Nitricum – For Managing Bleeding Following Intercourse
Argentum Nitricum is a helpful medicine to manage bleeding following intercourse in females having chlamydia infection. Intercourse is painful, and profuse yellow vaginal discharges may also be complained along with above features. Sometimes the vaginal discharges are blood stained.
Petroselinum – To Treat Chlamydia Infection in Males with Milky Fluid Urethral Discharge
Petroselinum is prepared from a plant Petroselinum Sativum commonly named as Parsley. The natural order of this plant is Umbelliferae. Use of Petroselinum is considered for treating chlamydia infection in male having milky fluid discharge from urethra. Along with this itching and biting sensation in the urethra is marked. In some cases drawing or crawling sensation in urethra is felt. Frequent desire to urinate along with marked urgency may attend above symptoms.
Cannabis Sativa – For Yellow Watery Mucus Urethral Discharge in Males
Cannabis Sativa is a valuable medicine for treating chlamydia infection in males having yellow watery mucus discharge from urethra. Along with this dragging and aching in testicles may be felt. Other attending symptoms are burning while urinating, straining to pass urine and scanty urination. Stitching pain in urethra may also accompany above symptoms.
Pulsatilla – For Yellowish Green Discharges from Urethra in Males
Pulsatilla is prepared from plant Pulsatilla Nigricans commonly named as Pasque flower or Wind Flower. The natural order of this plant is Ranunculaceae. Pulsatilla is significant medicine for treating chlamydia in males having yellowish green discharge from urethra. The discharges are thick. Along with this pain, swelling and burning sensation in testicles may be present.
Cantharis – For Managing Burning/painful Urination
Cantharis is a beneficial medicine to manage complaint of burning/painful urination in chlamydia infection. Pain and burning arise while urinating. It may also be there before and after urination in many cases. Cutting pains in urethra are prominent. Frequency of urination is also increased and the urine may be scanty. Urine may contain jelly-like shreddy particles sometimes.
Merc Sol – For Frequent Urination
Merc Sol is highly effective to manage complaint of frequent urination in chlamydia infection. The frequency of urine is increased both in day and night time. Urine may appear almost every hour. Burning while urination may also be felt. Urgency to pass urine is also there where person have to hurry immediately to urinate. In males needing Merc Sol, yellow or green discharge from urethra may be there in addition to above urinary symptoms.
Rhododendron – For Pain in Testicles
Rhododendron is prepared from fresh leaves of a plant Rhododendron Chrysanthum commonly known by the name of Yellow snow-rose. This plant belongs to natural order Ericaceae. Rhododendron is suitable to treat pain in testicles in cases of chlamydia infection. Swelling is also present in testicles. Testicles may also feel hard. The pain in testicles vary from case to case. It may be pressing, tearing or contusive pain. Sitting tend to worsen the pain and motion relieves it.e.t.c