Infection of any of the organs of the urinary tracts such as those of kidneys, Ureters (tube between kidney to bladder), urinary bladder, and urethra, may broadly be called as UTI. Specifically following terms are used: pyelonephritis or nephritis (infection - inflammation) of kidney; ureteritis (for ureters), cystitis (urinary bladder), urethritis (urethra). Pyelonephritis is generally the serious condition.
CAUSES OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION
Urinary tract infection is most common in women affecting bladder and urethra.
Infection in bladder : It also known as cystitis mainly caused due to E-coli bacteria.It mainly decent from the gastrointestinal tract as the urethra opening is close to the anal opening in female, bacteria travels and causes infection, commonly seen in the young sexually active women.
Infection in the urethra : It is also known as urethritis. It is caused mainly due to sexual intercourse, as urethral proximity to the vagina sexually transmitted diseases like STDs, Gonorrhea, and Herpes simplex can also cause urethritis.
SYMPTOMS OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION
The symptoms are as follows:
- Cloudy or bloody urine, which may have a foul or strong odor.
- Low grade fever (not mandatory that everyone will have a fever).
- Constant pain or burning while urination.
- Cramping or sensation of pressure in the lower abdomen, occasionally in back.
Frequent and Strong urge to urinate, even after the bladder has been emptied.
DIAGNOSIS & TEST OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION
A urine sample is usually collected to perform the following tests:
- Urinalysis : urine is examined to look for white blood cells, red blood cells, bacteria, and to test for certain chemicals, such as nitrites in the urine. Most of the time, your doctor or nurse can diagnose an infection using a urinalysis.
- Urine culture may be done to identify the bacteria in the urine.
- CBC (Complete blood count)
- Blood culture
COMPLICATION OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION
- Sepsis (Blood infection) - risk is greater among the young, very old adults, and those with low immunity(for example, due to HIV or cancer chemotherapy)
- Kidney damage or scarring
- Kidney infection
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR URINARY TRACT INFECTION
CANTHARIS : Useful medicine when there is strong urging to urinate with cutting pains that are felt before,during or after urine.Given when several drops pass at a time, with a scalding sensation. There may be feeling as if the bladder has not been emptied, still feeling a constant urge to urinate.