A patient complains of repeated calls to urination but incontinences is unusual and only amounts to dribbling. The condition is INCREASED FREQUENCY OF MICTURITION.
This is a very common complaint. The patient can hold his urine but the calls to urinate are too frequent and sometimes they are so urgent that a few drops dribble away before any arrangement to pass can be made.
Stress incontinence indicates that any sudden strain like, emotion , laughing, crying, coughing will cause dribbling. Four to five hours is a fair interval between two acts of micturition. Women can hold urine for a longer time than men, say even upon ten to twelve hours.
Urination is a complex process, involving various body systems. A range of changes can make the urinary system more active.
Lifestyle-based causes include drinking a lot of fluids, especially if they contain caffeine or alcohol. At night, this can interrupt the sleep cycle with urges to urinate. Frequent urination can also develop as a habit.
However, it can be a sign of kidney or ureter problems, urinary bladder problems, or another medical condition, such as diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, pregnancy, or prostate gland problems.
Other causes or related factors include:
- diuretics, such as chlorothiazide, that make you urinate fluid from your body
- food and drinks that act as diuretics
- stroke and other brain or nervous system conditions
- urinary tract infection
- tumor or mass in the pelvic area
- interstitial cystitis, a type of inflammation of the bladder wall
- overactive bladder (OAB) syndrome, which causes involuntary bladder contractions that lead one to feel a sudden urge to have to urinate
- bladder cancer
- bladder or kidney stones
- urinary incontinence
- urethral stricture
- radiation of the pelvis, such as during cancer treatment
- colon diverticulitis, where small, bulging outpouching sacs develop in the wall of the large intestine
- a sexually transmitted infection (STI), such as chlamydia
One of the main symptoms of polyuria is urinating frequently. If there are other symptoms, they may indicate another, possibly more serious condition.
Nocturia, for example, is the need to urinate at night, during the sleep cycle. This can be a symptom of diabetes insipidus or diabetes mellitus.
Other symptoms that may need further attention include:
- pain or discomfort while urinating
- urine that is bloody, cloudy, or of an unusual color
- gradual loss of bladder control, or urinary incontinence
- difficulty urinating despite the urge
- discharge from the vagina or penis
- an increase in appetite or thirst
- fever or chills
- nausea or vomiting
- low back or side pain
If other symptoms are present, or if urinary frequency is affecting quality of life, it is a good idea to see a doctor.
Frequent urination can indicate a kidney infection, for example. Untreated, this can permanently damage the kidneys. In addition, the bacteria that cause the infection can potentially enter the bloodstream, infecting other areas of the body.
This can become life-threatening, and it needs attention.
Increased frequency of urination can be because of local irritation and it is the most common cause. Coil bacilluria is the most common symptom. An enlarged prostrate can make the bladder irritable. Is is the most common cause after middle age in men. Chronic cystitis, ulcerations, tumours, stones are also common cause of renal irritation. Even worms, piles, fissures, phimosis, prolapsed of the rectum, pelvic inflammation or varicocoele. Renal irritation constitutional causes may also be associated with this condition, such as- anxiety, hysteria, sexual excesses, etc. the sphincter also may be incompetent.
1. Equisetum Hyemale:
There is frequent urge to pass urine and when the urine passed is very large in quantity. This symptom may be most often disturbing at night. The urine passed is mostly clear. Equisetum Hyemale is also the ideal remedy when the desire to micturate or urinate is intolerable and sudden.
2. Cantharis - there is a constant need felt to pass urine but the urge is almost ineffectual as it is renewed soon after urinating and the person is not satisfied.There is burning present before, during and after urination.
3. Merc Cor - There is constant urge which is ineffectual as it is renewed soon after urinating and the person is not satisfied. In this remedy burning in urethra is marked before urination. Other common symptoms for using these remedies include blood in urine and hot urine. The urine is also scanty or it is passed drop by drop.
4. Lycopodium - For Frequent Urination at Night
Lycopodium stands out as the best natural treatment for frequent urination at night. The person needing Lycopodium frequently wakes up at night to pass urine.The urine passed may be scanty or large in quantity, but night aggravation is marked.