Cystitis is a common condition found more commonly in females. It is a condition where there is an inflammation of urinary bladder, frequently caused by an infection by bacteria that have gained access to the bladder. Affects women at least once in her lifetime. Many patients have a tendency to get repeated attacks of cystitis.
CAUSES OF CYSTITIS
Cystitis is more commonly found in 50% women because a woman’s urethra is shorter than a man’s urethra, making it easier for bacteria to enter and infect the female bladder.
Infection can occur when bacteria from the anus are transferred to the urethra.
Escherichia coli or E. Coli is one of the most common bacteria affecting bladder infection.
Bacteria can be transferred in the following ways:
- While sexual intercourse
- By while using sanitary tampons
- Using a contraceptive diaphragms
Many types of bacteria or fungi could lead to cystitis. Some of the common bacteria include micro-organisms
SYMPTOMS OF CYSTITIS
- Difficult and/or painful urination
- Burning with urination.
- Urgency (urge to urinate in hurry)
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Increased frequency of urination (to pass small amount of urination frequently)
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Recurring episodes of cystitis
- Cloudy and dark urine
- Offensive smell in urine
TYPES OF CYSTITIS
A. Acute cystitis : In this case, the infection is acute which tends to last for about a week or two, depending on the cause of infection, the intensity of infection and patients’ immune status.
B. Recurrent cystitis : Commonly observed if the patient’s immune system is compromised if the cause remains untreated.
C. Chronic Cystitis : Lasting episode of inflammation of the bladder, which may be observed for weeks or months.
DIAGNOSIS OF CYSTITIS
- Clinical history
- Routine urine examination for the presence of bacteria, pus cells.
- Simple blood count to see an increase in white blood cells.
- Urine culture to identify the exact type of bacteria, help to arrive at the diagnosis of cystitis.
COMPLICATIONS OF CYSTITIS
Untreated and recurring cystitis can lead to complications as follows:
- Kidney failure
- Kidney infection (pyelonephritis)
PREVENTION OF CYSTITIS
- Drinking plenty of water
- Voiding urine at the natural call.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR CYSTITIS
Homeopathic medicine depend upon totality of symptoms and patient individualization.Some common medicine are
Cantharis, Sepia, Nitric acid, Pulsatilla nigra, Staphysagria, Kali carbonicum, Medorrhinum.