A Spinal Tumor is a growth that develops within the spinal canal or within the bones of the spine. A spinal cord tumor, also called an intradural tumor, is a spinal tumor that begins within the spinal cord or the covering of the spinal cord (dura). A tumor that affects the bones of the spine (vertebrae) is called a vertebral tumor.
Spinal Tumors are referred to in two ways.
By the region of the spine in which they occur. These basic areas are
By their location within the spine.
- Intramedullary tumors - Begin in the cells within the spinal cord itself, such as gliomas, astrocytomas or ependymomas.
- Extramedullary tumors-Grow in either the membrane surrounding the spinal cord or the nerve roots that reach out from the spinal cord. Although they donot begin within the spinal cord itself,.These types of tumors may affect spinal cord function by causing spinal cord compression and other problems. Examples of extramedullary tumors that can affect the spinal cord include meningiomas, neurofibromas, schwannomas and nerve sheath tumors.
SYMPTOMS OF SPINAL CORD TUMOR
Spinal cord tumors can cause different signs and symptoms, especially as tumors grow. The tumors may affect our spinal cord or the nerve roots, blood vessels or bones of our spine. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Pain at the site of the tumor due to tumor growth
- Back pain,often radiating to other parts of our body
- Feeling less sensitive to pain, heat and cold
- Loss of bowel or bladder function
- Difficulty walking, sometimes leading to falls
- Back pain that worse at night
- Loss of sensation or muscle weakness, especially in our arms or legs
- Muscle weakness,which may be mild or severe, in different parts of our body
Back pain is a common early symptom of spinal tumors. Pain may also spread beyond our back to our hips, legs, feet or arms and may worsen over time even with treatment.
Spinal tumors progress at different rates depending on the type of tumor.
CAUSES OF SPINAL TUMOR
The exact cause of spinal tumors is not known.Experts suspect that defective genes play a role. But it is usually not known whether such genetic defects are inherited or simply develop over time. They might be caused by something in the environment, such as exposure to certain chemicals. In some cases, however, spinal cord tumors are linked to known inherited syndromes, such as neurofibromatosis 2 and von Hippel-Lindau disease.
Spinal cord tumors are more common in people who have:
- Neurofibromatosis 2-In this hereditary disorder,benign tumors develop on or near the nerves related to hearing. This may lead to progressive hearing loss in one or both ears. Some people with neurofibromatosis 2 also develop spinal canal tumors.
- Von Hippel-Lindau disease. This rare, multisystem disorder is associated with blood vessel tumors (hemangioblastomas) in the brain, retina and spinal cord and with other types of tumors in the kidneys or adrenal glands.
COMPLICATIONS OF SPINAL CORD TUMOR
Spinal tumors can compress spinal nerves,leading to a loss of movement or sensation below the location of the tumor. This can sometimes cause changes in bowel and bladder function. Nerve damage may be permanent.
However, if caught early and treated aggressively, it may be possible to prevent further loss of function and regain nerve function. Depending on its location, a tumor that presses against the spinal cord itself may be life-threatening.
HOMOEOPATHIC TRATMENT FOR SPINAL CORD TUMOR
In homeopathy selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat diseases of spine but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several remedies are available to treat diseases of spine that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensations and modalities of the complaints which is taken by thorough case history.some common homeopathc medicine are
Gelsemium ,Cimicifuga ,Ruta ,Zincum Met,Hypericum ,Thuja ,Silicea ,Natrum Mur ,Belladonna,Bryonia,Mercurius ,Lachesis,Ledum Pal ,Kali Carb ,Calcarea Carb, RL10