Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty. While scoliosis can be caused by conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, the cause of most scoliosis is unknown. About 3% of adolescents have scoliosis.
Most cases of scoliosis are mild, but some spine deformities continue to get more severe as children grow. Severe scoliosis can be disabling. An especially severe spinal curve can reduce the amount of space within the chest, making it difficult for the lungs to function properly.
Children who have mild scoliosis are monitored closely, usually with X-rays, to see if the curve is getting worse. In many cases, no treatment is necessary. Some children will need to wear a brace to stop the curve from worsening. Others may need surgery to keep the scoliosis from worsening and to straighten severe cases of scoliosis.
SYMPTOMS OF SCOLIOSIS
- Uneven shoulders
- One shoulder blade that appears more prominent than the other
- Uneven waist
- One hip higher than the other
If a scoliosis curve gets worse, the spine will also rotate or twist, in addition to curving side to side. This causes the ribs on one side of the body to stick out further than on the other side.
CAUSES OF SCOLIOSIS
Exact cause of scoliosis is unknown .Although it appears to involve hereditary factors, because the disorder tends to run in families. Less common types of scoliosis may be caused by:
- Neuromuscular conditions, such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy
- Birth defects affecting the development of the bones of the spine
- Injuries to or infections of the spine
COMPLICATIONS OF SCOLIOSIS
While most people with scoliosis have a mild form of the disorder, scoliosis may sometimes cause complications, including:
- Lung and heart damage-In severe scoliosis, the rib cage may press against the lungs and heart, making it more difficult to breathe and harder for the heart to pump.
- Back problems- Adults who had scoliosis as children are more likely to have chronic back pain than are people in the general population.
- Appearance-As scoliosis worsens, it can cause more noticeable changes including uneven hips and shoulders, prominent ribs, and a shift of the waist and trunk to the side. Individuals with scoliosis often become self-conscious about their appearance.
HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINE FOR SCOLIOSIS
1. Silicea : Useful for scoliosis with spinal curvature to the right side. There is shooting, aching or beating pain which is worse from motion and touch. There is burning sensation in the spine along with weakness.Useful for sore feeling on the right side of the spine .
2. Calcarea Phos : Useful for scoliosis with spinal curvature to the left side. Useful for spinal curvatures due to weak spine.There is drawing pain in the back that worsens from motion.Useful for pain between the shoulder blades .Very useful for those children (especially girls) who grow rapidly at puberty and are predisposed to softening of bones and curvatures of the spine.
3. Rhus Tox : Useful for scoliosis with pain in the dorsal spine felt particularly on bending forward. Useful for pain between the shoulder-blades which are also sensitive to touch.Also there is pain in the small of the back that worsens from sitting or lying..
4. Aesculus : Useful for scoliosis with constant pain in the back.Useful when Walking and stooping worsen the backache. There is lame and weak feeling in back.
5. Phosphorus : Useful for scoliosis with pain in the small of the back with a sensation as if it is broken.There is dull pressure felt in the whole spine along with a sensation of heat or burning.