Sacroiliitis is an inflammation of one or both of our sacroiliac joints situated where our lower spine and pelvis connect. Sacroiliitis can cause pain in our buttocks or lower back and can extend down one or both legs. Prolonged standing or stair climbing can worsen the pain.
Sacroiliitis can be difficult to diagnose, because it can be mistaken for other causes of low back pain. It is been linked to a group of diseases that cause inflammatory arthritis of the spine. Treatment might involve physical therapy and medications.
SYMPTOMS OF SACROILITIS
The pain associated with sacroiliitis most commonly occurs in the buttocks and lower back. It can also affect the legs, groin and even the feet. Sacroiliitis pain can be aggravated by:
- Prolonged standing
- Bearing more weight on one leg than the other
- Stair climbing
- Taking large strides
CAUSES OF SACROILITIS
Causes for sacroiliac joint dysfunction include:
- Traumatic injury. A sudden impact, such as a motor vehicle accident or a fall, can damage your sacroiliac joints.
- Arthritis. Wear-and-tear arthritis (osteoarthritis) can occur in sacroiliac joints, as can ankylosing spondylitis — a type of inflammatory arthritis that affects the spine.
- Pregnancy. The sacroiliac joints must loosen and stretch to accommodate childbirth. The added weight and altered gait during pregnancy can cause additional stress on these joints and can lead to abnormal wear.
- Infection. In rare cases, the sacroiliac joint can become infected.
HOMOEOAPATHIC MEDICINE FOR SACROILITIS
AESULUS : Useful for sacroilities when there is an itense pain in the hip which radiate downward to thigh.Very useful for lower back pain with stiffness.There is sensation as if the back would break.
RHUSTOX : Useful for sacroilitis when there is extreme pain and stiffness in lower back.Very useful when pain get worse from rest,lying down, and sitting.Very useful when sacroilities is caused by arthritis.
BRYONIA : Useful for sacroilities when there is lower back pain that worsen from motion.Also there is lower back stiffness.
COLOCYNTH : Useful for sacroilitis when pain from hip radiates down the thigh and legs.There is cramping,drawing and stitching pain.
ARNICA : Useful for sacroilities with history of trauma or an injury or a fall on the back of hip.Useful when hip pain tends to get worse at night time but is better during motion.