Pain in the back anywhere below the ribs and up to the hips is called low back pain. It is a condition that affects over 90% of the population at one time or the other. Next to common cold,it remains the most common reason why people seek medical help
Many people who experience low back pain do not meet up with a doctor since it usually resolves on its own. They may suffer from any dull aches to sharp pains or even numbness. The pain characteristically lingers on for a day or two before it gradually subsides. In many, the pains keep recurring in varying intensities
Studies have shown that back pain is the single most reason cited by employees for taking maximum number of 'sick leaves'. Stresses and strains of daily living and overuse and misuse of the muscles of the back are the commonest causes of backache
SYMPTOMS OF BACKACHE
- Muscle aching
- Shooting pain
- Burning or stabbing sensation.
- Pain may radiate down leg or worsen with bending, twisting, lifting, standing or walking.
CAUSES OF BACKACHE
- spinal degeneration and injury.
- Muscle or ligament strain.
- Bulging or ruptured disks.
RISK FACTORS OF BACKACHE
Anyone can develop back pain, even children and teens. These factors might put them at greater risk of developing back pain:
- Age. Back pain is more common as one get older, starting around age 30 or 40.
- Lack of exercise. Weak, unused muscles in our back and abdomen might lead to back pain.
- Excess weight. Excess body weight puts extra stress on our back.
- Diseases. Some types of arthritis and cancer can contribute to back pain.
- Improper lifting. Using our back instead of our legs can lead to back pain.
- Psychological conditions. People prone to depression and anxiety appear to have a greater risk of back pain.
- Smoking. Smokers have increased rates of back pain. This may occur because smoking prompts more coughing, which can lead to herniated disks. Smoking can also decrease blood flow to the spine and increase the risk of osteoporosis.
PREVENTION OF BACKACHE
To keep back healthy and strong:
- Exercise-Regular low-impact aerobic activities , Walking and swimming are good choices.
- Build muscle strength and flexibility-Abdominal and back muscle exercises, which strengthen our core, help condition these muscles so that they work together like a natural corset for back.
- Maintain a healthy weight-Being overweight strains back muscles.
- Quit smoking-Smoking increases the risk of low back pain. The risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked per day, so quitting should help reduce this risk.
- Stand smart- Do not slouch. Maintain a neutral pelvic position. If one must stand for long periods, place one foot on a low foots tool to take some of the load off their lower back. Alternate feet. Good posture can reduce the stress on back muscles.
- Sit smart. Choose a seat with good lower back support, armrests and a swivel base. Placing a pillow or rolled towel in the small of our back can maintain its normal curve. Keep our knees and hips level. Change our position frequently, at least every half-hour.
- Lift smart. Avoid heavy lifting, if possible, but if done must lift something heavy, let our legs do the work. Keep back straight ,no twisting and bend only at the knees. Hold the load close to our body. Find a lifting partner if the object is heavy or awkward.
Because back pain is so common, numerous products promise prevention or relief. But there is no definitive evidence that special shoes, shoe inserts, back supports, specially designed furniture or stress management programs can help.
In addition, there does not appear to be one type of mattress that is best for people with back pain. It is probably a matter of what feels most comfortable to you.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR BACKACHE
Homeopathic medicines offer excellent relief for low back pains. Homeopathic medications can relieve the spasms of the back muscles and provide effective pain relief without any side effects and are considered good for raising the immunity. Homeopathy is of use in eradicating chronic relapsing conditions.
Aesculus : Useful medicine for backache (the sacral or sacroiliac areas) that feels worse when standing up from a sitting position, and worse from stooping.Especially indicated for those people with low back pain who also have a tendency toward venous congestion and hemorrhoids.
Arnica Montana : Useful for backache with sore lame bruished feeling.There is stiffness from overexertion or minor trauma.
Bryonia : Indicated when back pain is worse from even the slightest motion,changing position, coughing, turning, or walking may bring on sharp.There is excruciating pain.Helpful for back pain after injury and backaches during illness.
Calcarea Carb : Useful for backache with muscle weakness, especially in a person who is chilly, flabby or overweight, and easily tired by exertion.Mostly recommended for Chronic backache.Also useful for inflammation and soreness that are aggravated by dampness and cold.
Calcarea Phos : Useful for stiffness and soreness of the spinal muscles and joints, especially in the neck and upper back which is worse from drafts and cold, as well as from exertion.There is aching in the bones.Also there is feelings of weariness and dissatisfaction
RL - 15, Backolin