Ichthyosis is derived from the Greek word "ichthys" meaning "fish". It is a skin disorder in which there is formation of dry, thickened, scales or flakes on the skin, which appears like fish scales.
The condition often begins in early childhood and is usually life long.
TYPES OF ICHTHYOSIS
The most common types of ichthyosis are:
- Ichthyosis vulgaris- Ichthyosis vulgaris is commonly observed in most people. It accounts for about 95% of all ichthyosis cases
- Lamellar ichthyosis
- Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis
- X-linked ichthyosis.
CAUSES OF ICHTHYOSIS
- It is seen to be a Genetic disorder that is passed from parent to child or that occurs spontaneously.
- Use of harsh soaps or detergents make the skin dry and are known to cause ichthyosis.
- Cold weather is also an important factor which increases dry skin and leads to ichthyosis.
- Certain soaps or lotions containing certain scents or perfumes may also trigger this.
- Acquired ichthyosis is not inherited and occurs for the first time in adulthood. It is usually associated with some general systemic diseases, such as under active thyroid, sarcoidosis, lymphoma, generalized cancer or HIV. It may be provoked by certain medications (such as kava, nicotinic acid and hydroxyurea).
SIGN & SYMPTOMS OF ICHTHYOSIS
Sign and symptoms may include the following:
- Itching of skin.
- Dry skin, scaling and flaking of skin.
- Mild itching.
- Body odor.
- Thick scales and cracks.
- Rough skin.
- Overheating: ichthyosis may affect normal temperature control by reducing the ability to sweat
- Limited movement: dry, scaly skin may make it too painful to move some parts of the body
- Secondary infection: cracking and splitting of the skin may lead to skin infections and sometimes systemic infections
- Impaired hearing or eyesight: Excessive skin may build up over the ears or eyes causing partial deafness or blurred vision.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR ICHTHYOSIS
The outbreak on the skin, which is dry, crusty, rough, peeling off of the scales; or present as a combination of these. There are some homeopathy remedies used to improve the moisture content in the skin. To treat ichthyosis, a wide range of Homeopathic medicines like:
Arsenic Iodatum, Sepia Succus, Hydrocotyle Asiatica, Petroleum, and Kali Sulphuricum are used by a homeopathic practitioner.