Allergic Rhinitis or Pollinosis also known as Hay Fever is an allergy characterized by sneezing, itchy and watery eyes,running nose and a burning sensation of the palate and throat. It is usually caused by allergies to airborne substances such as dust, moulds, pollens, animal fur and feathers. It is often aggravated by a food allergy, the most common being an allergy to milk.
Hay fever is most common in people with a family history of similar complaints or a personal history of eczema, hives (urticaria), and/or asthma.
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
- Runny nose and nasal congestion
- Watery, itchy, red eyes (allergic conjunctivitis)
- Itchy nose, roof of mouth or throat
- Swollen, blue-colored skin under the eyes (allergic shiners)
- Postnasal drip
- Tree pollen, which is common in early spring.
- Grass pollen, which is common in late spring and summer.
- Ragweed pollen, which is common in fall.
- Dust mites, cockroaches and dander from pets can be bothersome year-round (perennial). Symptoms caused by dander might worsen in winter, when houses are closed up.
- Spores from indoor and outdoor fungi and molds are considered both seasonal and perennial.
Hay fever or common cold ?
Signs and symptoms can be similar, so it can be difficult to tell which one you have.
||Signs and symptoms
||Runny nose with thin, watery discharge; no fever
||Immediately after exposure to allergens
||As long as one exposed to allergens
||Runny nose with watery or thick yellow discharge; bodyaches; low-grade fever
||One to three days after exposure to a cold virus
||Three to seven days
Causes of Allergic Rhinitis
Our body immune system identifies with a harmless airborne substance which is harmful. Our immune system then produces antibodies to this harmless substance. Whenever our body come in contact with the substance, these antibodies signal our immune system to release chemicals such as histamine into our bloodstream, which causes a reaction that leads to the signs and symptoms of hay fever.
Risk factors of Allergic Rhinitis
The following can increase our risk of developing hay fever:
- Having other allergies or asthma
- Having atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Having a blood relative (such as a parent or sibling) with allergies or asthma
- Living or working in an environment that constantly exposes us to allergens — such as animal dander or dust mites
- Having a mother who smoked during your first year of life
Complications of Allergic Rhinitis
Problems that may be associated with hay fever include:
- Reduced quality of life.
- Poor sleep.
- Worsening asthma.
- Ear infection.
Prevention of Allergic Rhinitis
Lessen exposure to the allergens that cause our symptoms. Take allergy medications before exposed to allergens.
Homeopathic Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
The Homeopathic remedies are prepared from natural substances which work by stimulating the body's own healing power.
Homeopathy treats the patient who is diseased and not merely diseased parts of the patients. This holistic approach goes in a long way in the management of various chronic and deep-seated diseases.
Allium Cepa : Useful medicine when there is watery eyes and a clear nasal discharge that irritates the upper lip, along with sneezing and a tickling cough.Given when patient is thirsty and feels worse indoors and when rooms are warm, and better in fresh air.
Arsenicum Album : There is burning, watery, runny nose with a stuffiness.Useful when there is tickling feeling during allergy attacks.Useful when there is swelling below the eyes and a wheezy cough.Indicated when person may feel chilly, restless, anxious, and is often very tired.
Gelsemium : Useful when there is tired, droopy feeling with a flushed and heavy-feeling face.There is sensation of dryness or of swollen membranes may be felt inside the nose. Also useful when the nose may run with irritating watery discharge, with the person sneezing frequently. There is aching in the back of the head and neck with trembling feeling, and chills along the spine.
Sabadilla : Useful for long paroxysms of sneezing. There is itching in the nose with irritating running discharge.There is feeling of lump in the throat, and watery eyes. There is feeling of nervous during allergy attacks.
RL - 1