PEANUT ALLERGIES AND HOMOEOPATHY
Nut Allergies can be life-threatening, kindly consult your physician before using any homeopathy medicine. A food item as simple as a peanut can trigger an allergy in some people. Allergy basically refers to an abnormal exaggerated immune response to a substance (or allergen) in an individual who is allergic towards the specific allergen. When the allergic reaction is life-threatening, it is referred to as Anaphylaxis. Peanut intake leading to such an allergic response is termed Peanut Allergy.
Peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of severe allergy attacks. For some people with peanut allergy, even tiny amounts of peanuts can cause a serious reaction that can even be life-threatening (anaphylaxis).
Peanut allergy has been increasing in children. Even if you or your child has had only a mild allergic reaction to peanuts, it's important to talk to your doctor. There is still a risk of a more serious future reaction.
An allergic response to peanuts usually occurs within minutes after exposure. Peanut allergy signs and symptoms can include:
- Skin reactions, such as hives, redness or swelling
- Itching or tingling in or around the mouth and throat
- Digestive problems, such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea or vomiting
- Tightening of the throat
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Runny nose
Anaphylaxis: A life-threatening reaction
Peanut allergy is the most common cause of food-induced anaphylaxis, a medical emergency that requires treatment with an epinephrine (adrenaline) autoinjector (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) and a trip to the emergency room.
Anaphylaxis signs and symptoms can include:
- Constriction of airways
- Swelling of the throat that makes it difficult to breathe
- A severe drop in blood pressure (shock)
- Rapid pulse
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness
- Food allergies are most common in children, especially toddlers and infants. As you grow older, your digestive system matures, and your body is less likely to react to food that triggers allergies.
- Past allergy to peanuts.Some children with peanut allergy outgrow it. However, even if you seem to have outgrown peanut allergy, it may recur.
- Other allergies.If you're already allergic to one food, you may be at increased risk of becoming allergic to another. Likewise, having another type of allergy, such as hay fever, increases your risk of having a food allergy.
- Family members with allergies.You're at increased risk of peanut allergy if other allergies, especially other types of food allergies, are common in your family.
- Atopic dermatitis.Some people with the skin condition atopic dermatitis (eczema) also have a food allergy.
Homeopathy aims at strengthening the immune system. These medicines, which are made of natural substances, help in modifying the immune response to peanut intake and makes it reach the optimum level.
1) Apis Mellifica : Marked burning and stinging pains are felt in such wheals. The stinging burning in most cases gets worse with touch or pressure. Most of the persons needing Apis Mellifica feel worse in a warm room. In such persons, going out in the cold open air is somewhat relieving. In a few persons, cold bathing seems to provide some relief. Apis Mellifica is a very successful remedy for treating urticarial wheals following peanut intake if these symptoms match. The body may also show swelling along with skin symptoms for using Apis Mellifica.
2. Rhus Tox: Rhus Tox is a very beneficial natural medicine for treating uritcarial eruptions appearing in response to peanut intake. The most important guiding symptoms for using Rhus Tox are utmost restlessness with skin eruptions. The person needing Rhus Tox shows restlessness of the utmost degree, and cannot sit still in any place. He or she moves here and there in a random way. Another important feature indicating the selection of Rhus Tox is worsening of condition from cold air. Warmth provides relief to the person.
3. Nux Vomica: nausea, vomiting, cramps in abdomen and loose stool. All the persons requiring Nux Vomica have a major complaint of cramps in abdomen with a constant urge to pass stool or poop. A little relief is afforded by passing stool, but the cramps are renewed soon after passing stool, so is the need to pass stool. The stool is passed out in a small quantity and the desire for stool is ineffectual and constant. Nausea and vomiting also appear along with cramps and loose stool.
4. ASTACUS FLUVIATILIS - Astacus Fluviatilis is selected for chronic treatment when the patient shows one major symptom: liver complaints in association with urticarial skin rash
5. SULPHUR- The constitutional symptoms that guide towards using Sulphur are mainly heat sensations in the body that are most marked in palms and soles, a desire for sweets, an aversion to bathing and a general aggravation from standing.
6. NATRUM MUR - The constitutional symptoms for using Natrum Mur are the reserved nature of the person, a desire for salty food and a general worsening of the situation from the heat of the sun.
7. PULSATILLA - Pulsatilla is the medicine that is selected based on the constitutional symptoms of mild, sensitive, yielding nature, a desire for open air, no thirst at all and fatty food intolerance.
8. ARSENIC ALBUM: is mainly selected if there are the constitutional symptoms of anxiety, restlessness, fastidiousness and thirst mainly for a small quantity at short intervals. Burning in the stomach with vomiting, nausea and loose stool are also felt.
9.LYCOPODIUM: is the best natural remedy when the constitutional symptoms of chronic gas in the abdomen, desire for hot food and drinks, irritable nature, intolerance to opposition and contradiction predominate.
10.PHOSPHORUS: the constitutional symptoms to be looked for include weakness following loose stool, a desire for cold drinks, ice creams, juices and sensitivity towards external impressions like light, noise and touch.