The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the joint that connects our mandible (lower jaw) to our skull. The joint can be found on both sides of our head & in front of our ears. It allows our jaw to open and close, letting us to speak and eat.
SYMPTOMS OF TMJ DISORDER
Signs and symptoms of TMJ disorders may include:
- Pain or tenderness of our jaw
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Aching pain in and around our ear
- Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
- Aching facial pain
- Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close our mouth
TMJ disorders can also cause a clicking sound or grating sensation when we open our mouth or chew. But if there is no pain or limitation of movement associated with our jaw clicking, one probably do not need treatment for a TMJ disorder.
CAUSES OF TMJ DISORDER
The temporomandibular joint combines a hinge action with sliding motions. The parts of the bones that interact in the joint are covered with cartilage and are separated by a small shock-absorbing disk, which normally keeps the movement smooth.
Painful TMJ disorders can occur if:
- The disk erodes or moves out of its proper alignment
- The joint's cartilage is damaged by arthritis
- The joint is damaged by a blow or other impact
Factors that may increase the risk of developing TMJ disorders include:
- Various types of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Jaw injury
- Long-term (chronic) grinding or clenching of teeth
- Certain connective tissue diseases that cause problems that may affect the temporomandibular joint
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR TMJ DISORDER
AGARICUS : Very useful medicine for TMJ with a sensation as if crawling under the skin.There is twitching of facial muscles with prickly sensations.
ARUM TRIPHYLLUM : Used for TMJ for pain in joint with swallowing.
CALCAREA CARB : Used for TMJ with cracking, popping type of pain.There is stiffness of joints which is accompanied with cold hands and feet.Also useful for weak ankles.Mostlysuited to those patient who has tendency to obesity.
CALCAREA PHOS : Useful medicine for TMJ when mouth cannot be opened without pain.There is painful movement with stiffness in joint.
CAUSTICUM : Useful for TMJ with numbness in face mostly right-side.Given when Jaw becomes rigid with inability to open.Helpful for Jaw locks with raw, burning and sharping pain.
CARBO VEG : Useful medicine for TMJ with vertigo.Also there is nausea feeling.Well act when there is tinnitus associated with TMJ
CHAMOMILLA : Used for TMJ for low pain threshold. There is unbearable spasms of pain which radiate into the ear.
CUPRUM MET : Useful medicine for TMJ with spasms of muscles.
IGNATIA : Useful medicine for TMJ with tension in jaw every time when they get angry their neck gets tight causes gritting of teeth chronically. There is cramping from tightness in the jaw with sharp pains.Useful for TMJ which is caused from suppressed anger or not speaking their mind.