Pyorrhoea is the serious gum infection that damages the ligaments, gums and supporting bone. There is a pus discharge from the roots of the teeth and gums. The pus is often swallowed along with food which lead to various infections.
At an advanced stage of periodontal disease, it causes bleeding and discharge of pus from gums. It is one of the most widely prevalent diseases. This disease is a primary cause for tooth loss among adults. It is usually the result of poor & oral hygiene.
Pyorrhea, is caused by bacteria known as Pyorrhea alveolaris. It mostly occurs in persons over 40 years.
SYMPTOMS OF PYORRHOEA
- Swollen and puffy gums
- Bright red, dusky red, purplish gums or shiny surface
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Pain during eating
- Tenderness of gums
- Loose teeth
- New spaces will develop between your teeth
- Recession of gums
- Pus discharge
- Pocket formation between tooth and gums
- Bone resorption occurs in advance stages of a disease
- Periodontal abscess
TYPES OF PYORRHOEA
There are different types of periodontitis. The more common types are:
- Chronic Periodontitis: It is the most common type of disease, affecting mostly adults. Though children can be affected, too. This type is caused by plaque build-up and involves slow disorientation that may improve and get worse over time but cause the destruction of the gums and bone and loss of teeth if not treated.
- Aggressive Periodontitis: It occurs during adolescence and affects some people. It tends to affect the family and leads to rapid progression in gums and bone. Loss of teeth occurs if not treated.
- Necrotizing Periodontal Disease: It is characterized by necrosis of gum tissue, ligaments and supporting bone due to lack of blood supply, resulting in severe infection. This type occurs mainly in the immunosuppressed people such as – such as HIV infection, cancer treatment or other cause – malnutrition.
CAUSES OF PYORRHOEA
- Poor Dental Hygiene:
- Complacency and Neglect
- Complacency and Neglect
Factors that can enhance risk of pyorrhoea include:
- Poor oral health habits
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Hormonal changes occur during pregnancy or menopause
- Substance abuse
- Inadequate nutrition, including vitamin C deficiency
- Certain medications that cause dry mouth or gingival changes
- Conditions such as immunocompromised patients. For e.g. leukemia, HIV/AIDS and cancer treatment
- Certain diseases, like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and Crohn's disease
- Old age
COMPLICATIONS OF PYORRHOEA
- Pyorrhea causes tooth loss
- Alveolar Bone destruction
- In advance, stage bacteria can also affect the vital organs such as the heart, lungs and other parts of the body
- Pyorrhea may be linked with respiratory disease, coronary artery disease or rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteomyelitis is also observed in advance stages
PREVENTION OF PYORRHOEA
- Good oral hygiene: brush twice a day with proper brushing technique and use of herbal products.
- A regular visit to the dentist: see your dentist every 6-12 months. If you have a risk factor that increases the chance of periodontitis such as dry mouth and smoking increases the risk of disease. Cleaning of teeth is also helpful.
- Proper care and hygiene should be maintained by scaling and root.
- Eating fresh fruits like guavas, bananas, and oranges help in maintaining oral hygiene
- Avoid toxin and acid producing food.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR PYORRHOEA
MERC SOL : Useful for pyorrhoea with swollen, tender and bleeding gums with bluish red in colour.Also there is metallic taste in the mouth with offensive breath.Given when there is increase in saliva.Also recommended when patient complains of loosening of teeth in the sockets.
CARBO VEG : Useful medicine for pyorrhoea where the gums show a tendency to bleed on cleaning the teeth. There is recceding of gums with somewhat blackish in appearance which are attended with toothache.Given when toothache gets worse when chewing food. There is bitter, sour taste in the mouth along with pyorrhoea complain.
PHOSPHORUS : Useful medicines for pyorrhea in cases where the gums bleed easily.Given when along with bleeding there is soreness and pain in gums which gets worse from both heat and cold.Also useful for pain in the teeth.