Scalp Folliculitis is a common skin condition in which hair follicles become inflamed. It is usually caused by a bacterial or fungal infection.In early stage it look like small red bumps or white-headed pimples around hair follicles the tiny pockets from which each hair grows. The infection can spread and turn into nonhealing, crusty sores.
The condition is not life-threatening, but it can be itchy, sore and embarrassing. Severe infections can cause permanent hair loss and scarring.
If someone have a mild case, it may clear in a few days with basic self-care measures. For more serious or recurring folliculitis,one may need to have proper treatment.
SYMPTOMS OF SCALP FOLLICILITIS
Folliculitis signs and symptoms include
- Clusters of small red bumps or white-headed pimples that develop around hair follicles
- Pus-filled blisters that break open and crust over
- Itchy, burning skin
- Painful, tender skin
- A large swollen bump or mass
TYPES OF SCALP FOLLICILITIS
The two main types of folliculitis are superficial and deep. The superficial type involves part of the follicle, and the deep type involves the entire follicle and is usually more severe.
Forms of superficial folliculitis include:
- Bacterial folliculitis -This common type is marked by itchy, white, pus-filled bumps. It occurs when hair follicles become infected with bacteria, usually Staphylococcus aureus (staph). Staph bacteria live on the skin all the time. But they generally cause problems only when they enter in our body through a cut or other wound.
- Hot tub folliculitis (pseudomonas folliculitis)-In this condition there is development of rash of red, round, itchy bumps one to two days after exposure to the bacteria that causes it. Hot tub folliculitis is caused by pseudomonas bacteria, which is found in many places, including hot tubs and heated pools in which the chlorine and pH levels are not well-regulated.
- Razor bumps (pseudofolliculitis barbae)- In this condition there is skin irritation caused by in grown hairs. It mainly affects men with curly hair who shave too close and is most noticeable on the face and neck.
- Pityrosporum (pit-ih-ROS-puh-rum) folliculitis-In this condition there is chronic, red, itchy pustules on the back and chest and sometimes on the neck, shoulders, upper arms and face. This type is caused by a yeast infectionA.
CAUSES OF SCALP FOLLICILITIS
Folliculitis is most often caused by an infection of hair follicles with Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Folliculitis may also be caused by viruses, fungi and even an inflammation from ingrown hairs.
Follicles are densest on our scalp, and they occur everywhere on our body except our palms, soles, lips and mucous membranes.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE FOR SCALP FOLLICILITIS
1. SULPHUR : Excellent remedy for folliculitis.Very useful useful where there is severe itching and burning in the eruptions which gets worse in warm,evening or at night. There is sensitiveness of skin to air and from washing.It is very useful where skin complaints get suppressed by the use of ointments.
2. HEPAR SULPH : Best remedies for folliculitis.Useful for eruptions where there is pus accumulation. Eruptions is very sensitive to touch with burning and stinging sensation.
3. GRAPHITES : Very useful medicine for folliculitis affecting the beard area oozes sticky fluid. There is itching, burning and stinging sensation.
4. CALCAREA SULPH : Useful for folliculitis which oozes pus or blood.There is formation of yellowish crusts which are tender to touch. work better in suppurative conditions. It help to remove pus discharge.
5. MEZERIUM : Useful for scalp folliculitis which oozes pus or sticky discharge. There is intolerable itching, which gets worse in warm condition.Useful where there is formation of thick scabs over the eruptions.
7. RL 4 : Premature Hair Loss Grey & Thinning Of Hair