Vulvitis is not a disease, but refers to the inflammation of the soft folds of skin on the outside of the female genitalia, the vulva. The irritation can be caused by infection, allergic reaction, or injury. The skin of the vulva is especially susceptible to irritation due to its moistness and warmth.
CAUSES OF VULVITIS
Vulvitis can be caused by many factors or irritants, including:
- The use of colored or perfumed toilet paper
- An allergic reaction to bubble bath or soap used to clean the genital area
- Use of vaginal sprays or douches
- Irritation by a chlorinated swimming pool or hot tub water
- Allergic reaction to spermicide
- Allergic reaction to sanitary napkins
- Wearing synthetic underwear
- Wearing a wet bathing suit for extended periods of time
- Bike or horseback riding
- Fungal or bacterial infections including scabies or pubic lice
- Skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis
SYMPTOMS OF VULVITIS
The symptoms of vulvitis can include:
- Extreme and constant itching
- A burning sensation in the vulvar area
- Vaginal discharge
- Small cracks on the skin of the vulva
- Redness and swelling on the vulva and labia (lips of the vagina)
- Blisters on the vulva
- Scaly, thick, whitish patches on the vulva,e.t.c
- Any woman of any age can be affected by vulvitis.
- Girls who have not yet reached puberty
- post-menopausal women may be at higher risk of vulvitis.
- low estrogen levels may make more susceptible to the condition due to thinner, dryer vulvar tissues.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT OF VULVITIS
Useful for waxy skin which looks pale and oedematus .There is stinging pain with soreness and inflamation with redness in vulvar region.
Useful for acute inflamation of vulva region.
Useful for recurrent soft tissue infection.Very useful for infection in sebaceous cyst which results in vulvitis, the skin around vulva is cracked, feels like leather.