Patient complains of a purulent discharge from the vagina. The condition is VAGINITIS.
This condition can be acute or chronic. In acute conditions, the discharge is profuse, yellow or greenish. Sometimes it is blood stained attended by dysuria and local signs of inflammation.
Trauma, foreign body and worms in children.
In adults the cause can be an irritant pessary, tempoon, excessive coitus, specific or non-specific infection, extension of infection from adjacent organs like urethra, bartholin glands, etc.
- Bacterial vaginosis, which results from a change of the normal bacteria found in your vagina to overgrowth of other organisms
- Yeast infections, which are usually caused by a naturally occurring fungus called Candida albicans
- Trichomoniasis, which is caused by a parasite and is commonly transmitted by sexual intercourse
Vaginitis signs and symptoms can include:
- Change in color, odor or amount of discharge from your vagina
- Vaginal itching or irritation
- Pain during intercourse
- Painful urination
- Light vaginal bleeding or spotting
If there is any vaginal discharge, which many women don't, the characteristics of the discharge might indicate the type of vaginitis . Examples include:
- Bacterial vaginosis. You might develop a grayish-white, foul-smelling discharge. The odor, often described as a fishy odor, might be more obvious after sexual intercourse.
- Yeast infection. The main symptom is itching, but you might have a white, thick discharge that resembles cottage cheese.
- Trichomoniasis. An infection called trichomoniasis (trik-o-moe-NIE-uh-sis) can cause a greenish-yellow, sometimes frothy discharge.
Belladonna suits plethoric patients, with a red face and conditions where there is local plethoras and an inflammatory state with pain, throbbing and shiny redness. Dryness and heat in the vagina. Discharges are bad smelling.
Hydrastis Canadensis is useful in older and easily tired people, cachetic individuals with great debility and emaciation. Erosion and excoriation of the cervix; thick, yellow, ropy leucorrhoea; pruritus valvae with profuse leucorrhoea; discharge after menses, which is acrid and corroding, shreddy tenacious accompanied with sexual excitement.
Cannabis sativa specially affects the urinary and sexual organs. Acute and chronic gonorrhea.; there is an inflammatory state making the patient walk with legs apart. Threatened abortion with too frequent intercourse. Conditions following acute gonorrhea; miscarriage. Great sexual excitement with infertility.
Cantharis vesicatoria has a constant discharge from the vagina, aggravated by a false step, associated with cystitis, black swelling for the vulva and burning pain in the ovaries. There is a dragging pain in the sacrum, usually after a miscarriage, with to frequent and profuse menses. Swollen tender and painful breasts.
Helonias dioica has suppressed menses; parts are hot, red, swollen with loss of sexual desire. Parts burn and itch terribly.
Kreosotum is prescribed for yellow, acrid discharge having the odour of green corn that is worse between periods.
Medorrhinum patient has intense itching in the vagina, better by rubbing and by bathing in tepid water. Sycotic warts on genitals. Ovarian pain on the left side or from ovary to ovary. Menses are profuse and dark, offensive; stains are difficult to wash. Medorrhinum is usually given in a single dose in the acute stage of the disease.
Platinum metallicum patient has painful, sensitive genitals, with itching, tickling and a crawling sensation. excessive sexual desire. Dark, clotted menses, too early. Organs are very sensitive inducing masturbation and having sex I impossible.
Staphysagria has painful and sensitive genitals, worse sitting down. First intercourse is very painful, causing acute physical and mental agony. Granular growth in vagina. History of rape; sexual abuse victim.
Thuja occidentalis menses are too early and short, scanty and retarded. Severe itching in the vagina; profuse leucorrhoea- thick, greenish with cauliflower- like excrescences. Vagina is very sensitive, preventing sex. Polyps and fleshy excrescences.