Fetal Growth Restriction ,formerly called Intrauterine Growth Restriction(IUGR), refers to a condition in which an unborn baby is smaller than it should be because it is not growing at a normal rate inside the womb.
Delayed growth puts the baby at risk of certain health problems during pregnancy, delivery, and after birth. They include:
- Low birth weight
- Difficulty handling the stresses of vaginal delivery
- Decreased oxygen levels
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Low resistance to infection
- Low Apgar scores (a test given immediately after birth to evaluate the newborn's physical condition and determine need for special medical care)
- Meconium aspiration (inhalation of stools passed while in the uterus), which can lead to breathing problems
- Trouble maintaining body temperature
- Abnormally high red blood cell count
CAUSES OF INTRAUTERINE GROWTH RESTRICTION
IUGR has many possible causes. A common cause is a problem with the placenta. The placenta is the tissue that joins the mother and fetus, carrying oxygen and nutrients to the baby and permitting the release of waste products from the baby.
The condition can also occur as the result of certain health problems in the mother, such as:
- Advanced diabetes
- High blood pressure or heart disease
- Infections such as rubella, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, and syphilis
- Kidney disease or lung disease
- Malnutrition or anemia
- Sickle cell anemia
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, or abusing drugs
Other possible fetal causes include chromosomal defects in the baby or multiple gestation (twins, triplets, or more).
SYMPTOMS OF INTRAUTERINE GROWTH RESTRICTION
Most people do not have any symptoms or signs that the fetus is small for its gestational age. One may feel that their belly or the fetus is not as big as it should be. Even if one feel this way, only their doctor can diagnose intrauterine growth restriction.
Depending on the cause of IUGR, the baby may be small all over or look malnourished. They may be thin and pale and have loose, dry skin. The umbilical cord is often thin and dull instead of thick and shiny.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR INTRAUTERINE GROWTH RESTRICTION
CARBO VEGETABILIS,OPIUM ,ARNICA,MERCURIUS,SILICEA,NATRUM SULPH, HYPERICUM,ACONITUM NAPELLUS, CAUSTICUM,NAJA ,CICUTA VIROSA ,AURUM METALLICUM ,BOVISTA,CALCAREA FLUORICA,
ARGENTUM NITRICUM ,e.t.c