An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The Fallopian tubes are the most common locations for an ectopic pregnancy.
Pregnancy begins with a fertilized egg. Normally, the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg implants and grows outside the main cavity of the uterus.
Sometimes, an ectopic pregnancy occurs in other areas of the body, such as the ovary, abdominal cavity or the lower part of the uterus (cervix), which connects to the vagina.
An ectopic pregnancy can not proceed normally. The fertilized egg cannot survive, and the growing tissue may cause life-threatening bleeding, if left untreated.
SYMPTOMS OF ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
She may not notice any symptoms at first. However, some women who have an ectopic pregnancy have the usual early signs or symptoms of pregnancy — a missed period, breast tenderness and nausea.
If she take a pregnancy test, the result will be positive. Still, an ectopic pregnancy cannot continue as normal.
As the fertilized egg grows in the improper place, signs and symptoms become more noticeable.
Early warning of ectopic pregnancy
Often, the first warning signs of an ectopic pregnancy are light vaginal bleeding and pelvic pain.
If blood leaks from the fallopian tube, she may feel shoulder pain or an urge to have a bowel movement. Her specific symptoms depend on where the blood collects and which nerves are irritated.
If the fertilized egg continues to grow in the fallopian tube, it can cause the tube to rupture. Heavy bleeding inside the abdomen is likely. Symptoms of this life-threatening event include extreme lightheadedness, fainting and shock.
CAUSES OF ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
A tubal pregnancy ,the most common type of ectopic pregnancy happens when a fertilized egg gets stuck on its way to the uterus, often because the fallopian tube is damaged by inflammation or is misshapen. Hormonal imbalances or abnormal development of the fertilized egg also might play a role.
Some things that make one more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy are:
- Previous ectopic pregnancy- If she had this type of pregnancy before, more likely to have another.
- Inflammation or infection-Sexually transmitted infections, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, can cause inflammation in the tubes and other nearby organs, and increase her risk of an ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility treatments-Some research suggests that women who have in vitro fertilization (IVF) or similar treatments are more likely to have an ectopic pregnancy. Infertility itself may also raise her risk.
- Tubal surgery-Surgery to correct a closed or damaged fallopian tube can increase the risk of an ectopic pregnancy.
- Choice of birth control-The chance of getting pregnant while using an intrauterine device (IUD) is rare. However, if she get pregnant with an IUD in place, it is more likely to be ectopic. Tubal ligation, a permanent method of birth control commonly known as "having tubes tied" also raises risk, if she become pregnant after this procedure.
- Smoking- Cigarette smoking just before get pregnant can increase the risk of an ectopic pregnancy. The more she smoke, the greater the risk.
COMPLICATION OF ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
An ectopic pregnancy can cause fallopian tube to burst open. Without treatment, the ruptured tube can lead to life-threatening bleeding.
PREVENTION OF ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
There Is no way to prevent an ectopic pregnancy, but here are some ways to decrease risk:
- Limiting the number of sexual partners and using a condom during sex helps to prevent sexually transmitted infections and may reduce the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Do not smoke.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR ECTOPIC PREGNANCY
Well selected Homoeopathic remedies are effective for the management of ectopic pregnancy. Some of the most important remedies are given below.
CHAMOMILLA -Excellent medicine for ectopic pregnancy with gripping pain behind the navel and pain in small of back. There is intolerable pain sends the doctors and nurses away, then calls again. Useful for flatulent abdomen, bowels full of flatulent abdomen.
Effective remedy for ectopic pregnancy. There is severe pain, bowels feel as if they are clutched by a hand, worse by jar, pressure. There is clawing pain around the navel. There is bloated feeling and discomfort made by jarring.
Excellent medicine for ectopic pregnancy with boring pain in ovary, must bend over double with great restlessness. There is agonizing , cutting pain in abdomen causing patient to bend over double and pressing on the abdomen.
Useful for ectopic pregnancy with bruised soreness in abdomen. Given when bowels grippe here and there worse by coughing and stepping. There is frequent ineffectual urging for stool.e.t.c