Partial prolapse (also called mucosal prolapse). The lining (mucous membrane) of the rectum slides out of place and usually sticks out of the anus. This can happen when one strain to have a bowel movement.It is most common in children younger than 2 years.
This type of protrusion is also found in children suffering from malnutrition with diminished para-rectal fat. In adults, it may occur due to partial loss of anal sphincter tone. A torn perineum may cause partial prolapsed. Excessive cough orstaining at stool due to urethral obstruction caused by an enlarged prostate can also cause partial prolapse. Over a period of time, this prolapsed can become complete prolapsed.
Causes of Rectal Prolapse of Rectum
- Cystic fibrosis-A child who has rectal prolapse with no obvious cause may need to be tested for cystic fibrosis.
- Having had surgery on the anus as an infant.
- Deformities or physical development problems.
- Straining during bowel movements.
Risk factors for adults include:
- Straining during bowel movements because of constipation.
- Tissue damage caused by surgery or childbirth.
- Weakness of pelvic floor muscles that occurs naturally with age.
Symptoms of Rectal Prolapse of Rectum
The first symptoms of rectal prolapse may be:
- Leakage of stool from the anus (fecal incontinence).
- Leakage of mucus or blood from the anus (wet anus).
Other symptoms of rectal prolapse include:
- A feeling of having full bowels and an urgent need to have a bowel movement.
- Passage of many very small stools.
- The feeling of not being able to empty the bowels completely.
- Anal pain, itching, irritation, and bleeding.
- Bright red tissue that sticks out of the anus.
Homeopathic Treatment of Rectal Prolapse of Rectum
Hydrastis Canadensis - It is indicated for raw smarting in the rectum during stools which persists for a long time. There is rectal prolapsed and an anal fissure.Given when tendency to constipation.There is sinking feeling in the abdomen.Useful for Proctitis.
Aloe socotrina - Useful for colic and diarrhoea accompanies by a feeling of weakness and loss of power of anal sphincter.There is sense of insecurity of rectum.There is constant bearing down in the rectum. Very useful for haemorrhoids which protrude like a bunch of grapes and are sore and tender. Also useful when there is pulsations and burning in the rectum.
Sepia officinalis - Useful when there is bleeding during stools and fullness of rectum prolapsed of rectum after smoking.There is sense of weight and ball in the rectum. Given when pains shoot up in the rectum and vagina.Useful for Piles, generally bleeding, during pregnancy, painful while walking.
Ruta graveolens - Useful for stricture of the rectum with difficult faeces, evacuated only on straining. Useful for Constipation alternating with mucous laden stools.There is protrusion of rectum after straining for stool after delivery.There is urging for stool but only the rectum prolapses.