Periodic atacks of vomiting occuring in young children. vomiting episodes can last for hours or days and alternate with symptom-free periods. Episodes are similar, meaning that they tend to start at the same time of day, last the same length of time, and occur with the same symptoms and intensity.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome occurs in all age groups, though it often begins in children around 3 to 7 years old. Although it is more common in children, the number of cases diagnosed in adults is increasing.
SIGN & SYMPTOMS OF CYCLIC VOMITING
- Three or more recurrent episodes of vomiting that start around the same time and last for a similar length of time
- Varying intervals of generally normal health without nausea between episodes
- Intense nausea and sweating before an episode starts
Other signs and symptoms during a vomiting episode may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Sensitivity to light
- Retching or gagging
CAUSES OF CYCLIC VOMITING
The underlying cause of cyclic vomiting syndrome is unknown. Some possible causes include genes, digestive difficulties, nervous system problems and hormone imbalances. Specific bouts of vomiting may be triggered by:
- Colds, allergies or sinus problems
- Emotional stress or excitement, especially in children
- Anxiety or panic attacks, especially in adults
- Certain foods and drinks, such as alcohol, caffeine, chocolate or cheese
- Overeating, eating right before going to bed or fasting
- Hot weather
- Physical exhaustion
- Exercising too much
- Motion sickness
Identifying the triggers for vomiting episodes may help with managing cyclic vomiting syndrome.
COMPLICATION OF CYCLIC VOMITING
Cyclic vomiting syndrome can cause these complications:
- Dehydration-Excessive vomiting causes the body to lose water quickly. Severe cases of dehydration may need to be treated in the hospital.
- Injury to the food tube-The stomach acid that comes up with the vomit can damage the tube that connects the mouth and stomach (esophagus). Sometimes the esophagus becomes so irritated it bleeds.
- Tooth decay-The acid in vomit can corrode tooth enamel.
PREVENTION OF CYCLIC VOMITING
Lifestyle changes also may help, including:
- Getting adequate sleep
- For children, downplaying the importance of upcoming events because excitement can be a trigger
- Avoiding trigger foods, such as alcohol, caffeine, cheese and chocolate
- Eating small meals and low-fat snacks daily at regular times
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR NAUSEA
IPECAC : Very useful in cases of vomiting attended with intense nausea which is almost constant. There may be vomiting of white glairy mucus, watery fluid, yellowish/greenish colored matter or undigested food. Given when vomiting is in copious quantities and may be attended with cutting or colicky abdominal pains and a loss of appetite.Mostly indicated when there is clean tongue.There may be a cough attended with vomiting (a spasmodic cough).
ARSENIC ALBUM : Useful for vomiting in cases of food poisoning and GIT infections.Indicated when the vomiting may be green, yellow, bitter, sour, or clear. Given when vomiting appears soon after eating or drinking.
VERATRUM ALBUM : Effective medicine for vomiting attended with diarrhea. Given when vomiting is accompanied with continued nausea, retching, and weakness. There is copious and forcible vomiting of bile or food and drink.Given when vomiting and diarrhea are usually attended with cold sweat especially on the forehead. There is frequent, watery, gushing stool with abdominal cramps or severe pinching colic.
COLOCYNTH : Useful for vomiting accompanied by abdominal pain.Recommended for vomiting which may be of food or yellow-green substances.Recommended when the abdominal pain tends to get relieved by bending over double or applying pressure.Useful for pain which may be crampy, colicky, cutting, or griping in nature, and is most marked around the navel region.
FERRUM MET : Useful for vomiting that occurs soon after eating, or in some cases, even while eating.Given when the vomiting is sour and acidic, and there is pain or pressure in the pit of the stomach which tends to get better after vomiting.There is eructations of sour, foul taste appear in most cases.Also helpful in cases of a cough that worsens upon eating and is followed by vomiting.