Anal stenosis or anorectal stricture is an uncommon disabling condition. It is a narrowing of the anal canal. This narrowing may result from a true anatomic stricture or a muscular and functional stenosis. This narrowing comprises of a tight band of scar tissue that constricts the anal opening, interfering with the ability to pass stool comfortably.
SYMPTOMS OF ANORECTAL STRICTURE/ANAL STENOSIS
- Discomfort or pain during bowel movements.
- Difficulty in passing stool because the anal opening feels too tight or too small.
- The patient typically reports a history of anorectal surgery, radiation to the pelvic area, or laxative abuse.
- He may describe excessive straining to have a bowel movement and a feeling of incomplete bowel evacuation.
- Other clinical features are pain, bleeding, and pruritus.
CAUSES OF ANORECTAL STRICTURE/ANAL STENOSIS
- Sepsis, ischemia (lack of blood supply) from occlusion of lower mesenteric artery or upper rectal artery
- Venereal lymphogranuloma
- Anorectal congenital disease may lead to anal stenosis
- Rectal trauma
- Chronic abuse of ergotamine tartrate for the treatment of migraine headache attack may sometimes lead to anorectal stricture.
- Radiation causes : Radiotherapy treatment for pelvic tumors like uterine carcinoma, prostatic carcinoma promotes anal stenosis formation
- Surgical procedure complication like hemorrhoidectomy
- Infectious disorders like lymphogranuloma venereum
- Anal fistula
- Neoplastic disorders like anal carcinoma
- Autoimmune disorder
- Inflammatory bowel disease
Damage or degeneration of nerves
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT OF ANORECTAL STRICTURE/ANAL STENOSIS
THIOSINAMINUM : Useful for anorectal stricture where there is scar tissues.
ALUMINA : Useful for anorectal stricture where a person has to strain a lot to pass stool. There is hard or soft stool which passes after much effort. There is cutting pain in the anus. Useful for bleeding from the anus which follow the passage of stool.Useful when there is itching and burning at anus
NITRIC ACID : Useful for anorectal stricture where there is painful bowel movements.There is sharp, splinter-like pain felt in rectum while passing stool.There is burning in the rectum.Also useful for constipation with hard and dry stool with ineffectual urge to pass stool.