Acute cholecystitis is inflammation of the gallbladder. It usually happens when a gallstone blocks the cystic duct. Gallstones are small stones, usually made of cholesterol, that form in the gallbladder. The cystic duct is the main opening of the gallbladder.
This is classically seen in women of 20 to 40 Years, but it can occur at any age. There is severe pain in the epigastria and right hypogastria.It radiates to the back and shoulder and may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. There may be mild jaundice. Murphy’s sign in positive.
SYMPTOMS OF ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS
Signs and symptoms of cholecystitis may include:
- Severe pain in upper right or center abdomen
- Pain that spreads to right shoulder or back
- Tenderness over abdomen when it is touched
Cholecystitis signs and symptoms often occur after a meal, particularly a large or fatty one.
CAUSESA OF ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS
Cholecystitis occurs when gallbladder becomes inflamed. Gallbladder inflammation can be caused by:
- Gallstones. Most often, cholecystitis is the result of hard particles that develop in gallbladder (gallstones). Gallstones can block the tube (cystic duct) through which bile flows when it leaves the gallbladder. Bile builds up, causing inflammation.
- Tumor. A tumor may prevent bile from draining out of from gallbladder properly, causing bile buildup that can lead to cholecystitis.
- Bile duct blockage. Kinking or scarring of the bile ducts can cause blockages that lead to cholecystitis.
- Infection. AIDS and certain viral infections can trigger gallbladder inflammation.
- Blood vessel problems. A very severe illness can damage blood vessels and decrease blood flow to the gallbladder, leading to cholecystitis.
Having gallstones is the main risk factor for developing cholecystitis.
COMPLICATION OF ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS
Cholecystitis can lead to a number of serious complications, including:
- Infection within the gallbladder. If bile builds up within gallbladder, causing cholecystitis, the bile may become infected.
- Death of gallbladder tissue. Untreated cholecystitis can cause tissue in the gallbladder to die (gangrene). It is the most common complication, especially among older people, those who wait to get treatment, and those with diabetes. This can lead to a tear in the gallbladder, or it may cause gallbladder to burst.
- Torn gallbladder. A tear (perforation) in gallbladder may result from gallbladder swelling, infection or death of tissue.
PREVENTION OF ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS
Risk of cholecystitis can be reduced by taking the following steps to prevent gallstones:
- Lose weight slowly. Rapid weight loss can increase the risk of gallstones. If one need to lose weight, aim to lose 1 or 2 pounds (0.5 to about 1 kilogram) a week.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight makes one more likely to develop gallstones. To achieve a healthy weight, reduce calories and increase our physical activity. Maintain a healthy weight by continuing to eat well and exercise.
- Choose a healthy diet. Diets high in fat and low in fiber may increase the risk of gallstones. To lower your risk, choose a diet high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR ACUTE CHOLECYSTITIS
Cholesterinum-Useful for Acute cholecystitis where the diagnosis is doubtful.Very useful when the patient has been subjected to frequent biliary attacks, hepatic engorgement , with or without jaundice.
Chionanthus virginica -Recommended for persons who are in malarial districts.Useful for Bilious colic, enormous liver, constipation, clay coloured stools and yellow skin.Given for jaundice developing every summer. Given in abdominal pains which are better by lying on the abdomen.
Chelidonium majus- Useful for cholecystitis with liver pains which travel backwards.Recommended for Jaundice, especially due to hepatic and gall bladder obstruction.There is gastric pains which are better after eating.There is sticking pain in the liver and gall bladder region, shooting up the shoulder, worse by pressure. Useful for Jaundice follows gall stone colic.Also there is hard, ball-like stools, with constipation and yellow complexion
Berberis vulgaris- Helpful to promotes the flow of bile.Useful medidcine for fleshy people who are good livers but have poor endurance.There is sticking pain in the region of liver shooting up to the right shoulder, worse and pressure.Useful for constipation with gall stone colic and yellow complexion.There is heartburn and nausea before breakfast ,better after breakfast.
Carduus marianus-Useful for soreness & pain around the liver and jaundice. There is general oedema and stitches in the liver, worse lying on the left side.
Natrium sulphuricum -Very useful medicine for gall stone colic.There is sensation of lump below the liver.Also there is crawling sensation in the liver region.Given when patient is unable to take deep breath without pain. Worse in damp weather.
Nux vomica-Very very useful when patient is oversensitive and touchy.There is swollen and indurated liver.There is sensitiveness to pressure and has stinging pains. Cannot bear tight clothing.
China officinalis-Useful for pain in the hepatic region, worse from touch and least pressure. There are periodic recurrences of pain with yellow skin and conjunctiva.Usefull for constipation with dark green scybala.