Diplopia is the simultaneous perception of two images of a single object that may be displaced horizontally or vertically in relation to each other. Also called double vision, it is a loss of visual focus under regular conditions, and is often voluntary.
CAUSES OF DIPLOPIA
- In elderly patients,this diplopia can take place due to cerebral ischaemia or haemorrhage in the nerve sheath from an adherent atheromatous artery. The patient recovers soon within a week or month.
- Person with errors of muscle balance (heterophoria) may have transient diplopia due to fatigue or stress. This diplopia disappears if one eye is covered.
- Diplopia with pain is often due to trigeminal distribution and corresponding sensory changes.
- During childhood, tubercular meningitis can bring on a sudden squint for the paralytic type, either painful or painless.
- Any tumour or space occupying lesion can also cause diplopia.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR DIPLOPIA
AURUM MET : Useful for diplopia with extreme photophobia in which both conditions may present- haemiopia and diplopia. In hemiopia, the upper half of objects is invisible.There is constant lachrymation from the eyes.
GELSEMIUM : Useful for diplopia with heavy drooping of eyelids, can hardly open the eyes.Useful for double vision while looking sideways, during pregnancy and during headache.Given when pain and discomfort remains for long, even after receiving corrected glasses.Very useful for diplopia with multiple sclerosis.
HYOSCYAMUS NIGER : Useful for diplopia when patient constantly gazes at the surrounding objects.Given when there is feeling of eyes roll above in the orbit.There is aversion to light, eyes open but patient does not pay attention to the surrounding objects. Eyes roll above in the orbit.There is aversion to light in which eyes are open but patient does not pay attention to the surroundings.
MORPHINUM : Useful for diplopia with disturbed accommodation.Given when eyeballs protrude and there is nystagmus.There is bluish, drooping eyelids with unsteady gaze.Useful for paralysis of internal rectus muscle.
BELLADONNA : Very useful for both diplopia and triplopia with dilated pupils.There is staring, brilliant, red eyes. Useful for inflammation of retina and optic nerve.There is diminished vision from fine work.