Mastoiditis is an inflammation of mastoid process (bone), the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear. Mastoid process contains open, air-containing spaces. Mastoiditis used to be a leading cause of child mortality.
Mastoiditis can be acute, chronic or recurrent.
CAUSES OF MASTOIDITIS
- In most cases, Mastoiditis is caused by certain gram-positive bacteria such as streptococci pyrogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, etc. Gram-negative bacteria can rarely cause Mastoiditis.
- Mastoiditis is usually caused by the infection of the middle ear, which is called acute otitis media. Infection from middle ear spreads to the air cells of the mastoid process.
- Mastoiditis may be the result of blockage of ear drainage. A skin tumor in the middle ear called Cholesteotoma may block the ear drainage.
- Perforation of tympanic membrane may also lead to Mastoiditis.
SYMPTOMS OF MASTOIDITIS
- Discomfort or pain behind the ear.
- Discharge of pus, fluid from ear.
- Redness and swelling behind the ear.
- Fever or headache in case of acute Mastoiditis.
- Hearing loss and vertigo
DIAGNOSIS OF MASTOIDITIS
It is best diagnosed clinically with the help of detail history and physical examination. CT scan, MRI and X-ray help to confirm the diagnosis and evaluate the extent of disease.
COMPLICATIONS OF MASTOIDITIS
- Hearing loss
- Facial nerve palsy
- Brain abscess Homeopathic medicines help to treat the acute infection as well as the chronic and recurring infections. If the acute infection is very severe, homeopathy may not help fast enough. However, chronic and recurring Mastoiditis finds excellent treatment using homeopathy. Medicines are chosen based on some symptoms, extent of pathology and investigational findings. Homeopathy is strongly recommended in all chronic cases of Mastoiditis.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR MASTOIDITIS
Very effective medicine to reduce inflammation of mastoid bone and relieve pain in ear. There is ear throbbing, tearing, stitching or shooting type of pain.Useful when ear is hot and sensitive to touch and there may have hardness of hearing. Also useful when there is noises in the ear that can be ringing, humming or roaring in nature.
Useful for mastoiditis when there are yellow or yellowish green discharges from ear which is profuse and thick.Also there is pain and swelling behind the ear which is sharp or shooting in nature.There is roaring or humming noises in ear.
Helpful medicine for mastoiditis when a person experience ear pain at night time. There is drawing, tearing or shooting pain.Given when there is thick yellow,green ear discharge having offensive smell or pus discharge and sometimes blood stained discharge from ear.There is whistling or ringing noise in ears
Useful medicine for mastoiditis when there is pain in ear and there is sensitivity to touch ear.There is offensive pus discharge from ear.Also useful when there is complain of roaring noises in ear and have problems with hearing.