Sepsis is a serious medical condition caused by the body's response to an infection. A newborn who has an infection and develops sepsis can have inflammation (swelling) throughout the body, leading to organ failure.
CAUSES OF SEPSIS
Bacterial infections are the most common cause of sepsis. However, sepsis can also be caused by fungi, parasites or viruses. The infection can be located in any of a number of places throughout the body.
Newborns can get sepsis in several different ways:
- If the mother has an infection of the amniotic fluid (a condition known as chorioamnionitis)
- Premature birth (premature babies are at a higher risk for sepsis)
- Low birth weight of the infant (risk factor for sepsis)
- If the mother’s water breaks early (more than 18 hours before the baby is born)
- If the baby is being treated for another condition while still in the hospital
- If the mother’s birth canal is colonized with bacteria
SYMPTOMS OF SEPSIS
Symptoms of infections in newborns include:
- Not feeding well
- Being very sleepy
- Being very irritable
- Rapid breathing or breathing pauses (apnea)
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Fever (temperature over 100.4 degrees F or over 38.1 degrees C)
- Inability to stay warm -- having a low body temperature despite being clothed and wrapped in blankets
DIAGNOSIS OF SEPSIS
Tests for sepsis in newborns can include:
- Blood tests (blood cell counts, blood cultures)
- Urine tests (urinalysis and culture)
- Skin swabs
Spinal tap (also known as lumbar puncture) to test for meningitis. A spinal tap is a procedure in which a very small needle is inserted into the space around your child’s spine to withdraw spinal fluid to test for infections.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR SEPSIS
It is a powerful antiseptic and destructive to low forms of life, a stimulating expectorant and an efficient diaphoretic. A remedy with marked effects on catarrhal processes, malaria and intestinal disturbances.Influenza.
Acute autoinfection. Symptoms of blood poisoning, septic conditions generally. Cerebro-spinal meningitis, puerperal infections.Malarial fever.
Pyrogen is a the great remedy for septic states, with intense restlessness. Hectic, typhoid, typhus, ptomaine poisoning, diphtheria, dissecting wounds, sewer gas poisoning, chronic malaria, after-effects of miscarriage, all these conditions at times may present symptoms calling for this unique medicine. All discharges are horribly offensive.
Post-operative complications.Septic conditions.Cellulitis and infections, carbuncles in early stages. Septicaemia. Typhoid. Skin is red, swollen and itching intensely.
Early stages of febrile conditions. Prostration marked. Susceptibility to chest troubles.Bronchitis of young children.In acute exacerbation of tuberculosis, a fine palliative of wonderful power. The remedy for first stage of all febrile disturbances and inflammations before exudation sets in.e.t.c