Bruxism is a condition in which one grind, gnash or clench their teeth. If someone have bruxism, they may unconsciously clench their teeth when they awake (awake bruxism) r clench or grind them during sleep (sleep bruxism).
Sleep bruxism is considered a sleep-related movement disorder. People who clench or grind their teeth (brux) during sleep are more likely to have other sleep disorders, such as snoring and pauses in breathing (sleep apnea).
Mild bruxism may not require treatment. However, in some people, bruxism can be frequent and severe enough to lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth and other problems.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF BRUXISM MAY INCLUDE:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to wake up your sleep partner
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of tooth
- Increased tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tired or tight jaw muscles, or a locked jaw that won't open or close completely
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it's actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of cheek
- Sleep disruption
CAUSES OF BRUXISM
Doctors don't completely understand what causes bruxism, but it may be due to a combination of physical, psychological and genetic factors.
- Awake bruxism may be due to emotions such as anxiety, stress, anger, frustration or tension. Or it may be a coping strategy or a habit during deep concentration.
- Sleep bruxism may be a sleep-related chewing activity associated with arousals during sleep.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR BRUXISM
Cina : Useful for bruxism in children when the grinding ofteeth occurs during sleep at night.There is foul breath and frothy saliva.Useful for highly irritable ,ill humored child.Also useful when trrth grinding is because of worm infestation.
Santoninum : Useful for bruxism caused by worm infestation. Useful for both grinding as well as clenching of teeth during sleep.There is restlessness during sleep .Also useful for itchy nose and abdominal pains.
Chamomilla : Useful for bruxism for patients prone to getting frequent fits of violent anger. here is sensitive to noise and pain. Very useful for bruxism in children during dentition.
Belladonna : Belladonna is very useful treatment for bruxism which is accompanied by a throbbing pain in the head. The patient’s face may turn red along with the headache, he may have mood swings, be forgetful, and suffer from mental confusion. The patient may also be restless and delirious.
Arsenic Album : Very useful for bruxism in persons suffering from intense anxiety and restlessness.Useful for patients who suffer from fears, cannot find rest in one place, and are prone to shifting places. very ueful whn patients grind their teeth while asleep.e.t.c