Pericarditis is swelling and irritation of the pericardium which is thin saclike membrane surrounding our heart. It often causes chest pain and sometimes other symptoms. The sharp chest pain associated with pericarditis occurs when the irritated layers of the pericardium rub against each other.
Pericarditis usually begins suddenly but doesn't last long (acute). When symptoms develop more gradually or persist, pericarditis is considered chronic.
SYMPTOMS OF PERICARDITIS
- Sharp, piercing chest pain over the center or left side of the chest, more intense when breathing in
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Low-grade fever
- Sense of weakness, fatigue or feeling sick
- Abdominal or leg swelling
CAUSES OF PERICARDITIS
Under normal circumstances, the two-layered pericardial sac that surrounds our heart contains a small amount of lubricating fluid. In pericarditis, the sac becomes inflamed and the resulting friction from the inflamed sac leads to chest pain.
It may due to idiopathic cause or may be viral infection.
It can also develop shortly after a major heart attack, due to the irritation of the underlying damaged heart muscle.
Other causes of pericarditis include:
- Systemic inflammatory disorders.
- Other health disorders.
- Certain medications.
COMPLICATION OF PERICARDITIS
- Constrictive pericarditis. Although uncommon, some people with pericarditis, particularly those with long-term inflammation and chronic recurrences, can develop permanent thickening, scarring and contraction of the pericardium.
- Cardiac tamponade. When too much fluid collects in the pericardium, a dangerous condition called cardiac tamponade can develop.
Early diagnosis and treatment of pericarditis usually reduces the risk of the long-term complications.
DIAGNOSIS OF PERICARDITIS
1. By taking medical history and asking questions about chest pain and other symptoms.
2 By listening to the heart,doctor will characterise the sound of pericarditis, which are made when the pericardial layers rub against each other. This characteristic noise is called a pericardial rub.
3.By undergoing test to confirm about heart attack, whether fluid has collected in the pericardial sac or whether there are signs of inflammation.There will be a blood tests to determine if a bacterial or other type of infection is present.
Some other diagnostic procedures are
- Electrocardiogram (ECG).
- Chest X-ray.
- Computerized tomography (CT).
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE FOR PERICARDITIS
1. Usefull if there is “Sensation as if the heart were grasped with an iron hand,” which clutches and relaxes alternately
2. There is a squeezed sensation in the heart.
3. Also very usefull for rheumatic carditis than any other remedy.
4. It is also useful to controls the inflammatory condition.It work well in Difficult breathing , suffocative , fainting, violent palpitation and inability to lie down
1. Very useful medicine for cardiac hypertrophy, especially after rheumatism with sensation feeling of “numbness of the left arm.”
2. There is irregular and intermits every third or fourth beat with shooting pains through the chest to the scapula.
3. Excellent remedy for cardiac troubles when they have been caused by the suppression of rheumatism by external a pplications.
1. Painful affections about the heart. It stands at the head of the list for acute carditis and pericarditis.
2. There are sharp pains shooting from heart to back, and radiating from the heart down the arm, over the chest, and down the spine.
3. Also useful to control palpitation which is worse from any movement of the arm or body.
4. Especially used for Heart symptoms accompanied with neuralgia.There is Irregular and tumultuous action of the heart are well met by Spigelia.
1.Useful for cardiac problem with numbness of the left arm; it also has tingling in the fingers, associated with heart disease.
It is useful for cardiac congestion, with anxiety, oppression and palpitation, worse when walking.There lancinating stitches occur, and also attacks of intense pain.
Also useful for uncomplicated hypertrophy of the heart,Pericarditis and Endocarditis with inflammation sets in with fever with the intense mental anxiety