Raised blood pressure is known as hypertension.As we know that blood pressure of an individual tends to increase with advancing age. So, term hypertension will be used when blood pressure exceeds the normal range for a particular age group.Unattended blood pressure can lead to a number of serious complications including stroke, heart diseases, kidney failure, etc.
Hypertension is very common in general population. However, in 95% of cases, a specific underlying cause of hypertension cannot be pointed out. This hypertension is labeled as essential hypertension and is believed to be related to genetic and heredity factors.
There are multiple factors that increase chances of hypertension significantly:
- High levels of body fats (cholesterol),
- Excess consumption of alcohol and smoking,
- Food (more salt intake),
- Lifestyle factors (lack of exercise, lack of sleep, mental stress, etc). There is a very small group of cases where hypertension is a result of some specific disease condition in the body and is labeled as secondary hypertension.
SYMPTOMS OF HYPERTENSION
Most people with high blood pressure have no signs or symptoms, even if blood pressure readings reach dangerously high levels.
- Severe headaches.
- Fatigue or confusion.
- Vision problems.
- Chest pain.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Blood in the urine.
CAUSES OF HYPERTENSION
There are two types of high blood pressure.
PRIMARY (ESSENTIAL) HYPERTENSION
Causes of Primary Hypertension is unknown,some of the causes are
- Being overweight or obese.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Too much salt in the diet.
- Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day)
Some people have high blood pressure caused by an underlying condition. This type of high blood pressure, called secondary hypertension, tends to appear suddenly and cause higher blood pressure than does primary hypertension. Various conditions and medications can lead to secondary hypertension, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Kidney problems
- Adrenal gland tumors
- Thyroid problems
- Certain defects you're born with (congenital) in blood vessels
- Certain medications, such as birth control pills, cold remedies, decongestants, over-the-counter pain relievers and some prescription drugs
- Illegal drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines
High blood pressure has many risk factors, including:
- Family history.
- Being overweight or obese
- Not being physically active
- Using tobacco.
- Too much salt (sodium) in your diet.
- Too little potassium in your diet. .
- Drinking too much alcohol.
- Certain chronic conditions
- Sometime Pregnancy
Although high blood pressure is most common in adults, children may be at risk, too. For some children, high blood pressure is caused by problems with the kidneys or heart. But for a growing number of kids, poor lifestyle habits, such as an unhealthy diet, obesity and lack of exercise, contribute to high blood pressure.
The excessive pressure on our artery walls caused by high blood pressure can damage our blood vessels, as well as organs in our body. The higher our blood pressure and the longer it goes uncontrolled, the greater the damage.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to complications including:
- Heart attack or stroke.
- Heart failure.
- Weakened and narrowed blood vessels in your kidneys
- Thickened, narrowed or torn blood vessels in the eyes.
- Trouble with memory or understanding. .
Homoeopathy can play a major role in the management of essential or secondary hypertension.As homeopathy depends upon symptoms totality and medicine is prescribed according to the totality it help to manage this condition.Along with homeopathic medicine Lifestyle modification with moderate exercise, weight reduction, the salt restriction is essential.
1.Allium Sativum 30–Very useful For High Blood Pressure with High Cholesterol .It helps in reducing cholesterol levels as well as lowering the blood pressure.There is pain in the chest that prevents sleep and leads to palpitations.
2.Aconitum Napellus 30–Very usefull medicine for High Blood Pressure with anxiety and restlessness.Very helpful when person often experiences a sudden fear of death.There is palpitations with feeling of pressure in the left side of the chest.Also there is sensation of weight under the breastbone and oppression of the chest.Helpful in heart pain extending to the left shoulder.
3.Baryta Mur 30 –Mostly recommended for High Systolic/Low Diastolic pressure.Useful for arteriosclerotic (abnormal thickening and hardening of artery walls) changes in the arteries.Along with vertigo, irregular heart beats and a heated sensation in the upper part of the chest is also experienced.
4.Crataegus Oxyacantha Q Very useful medicine to lower the blood pressure by dissolving the calcareous deposits in the arteries.There is pain in the region of the heart, oppression of chest, accelerated pulse and irregular pulse. Other symptoms include anxiety and cardiac dyspnea.