Heatstroke is hyperthermia accompanied by a systemic inflammatory response causing multiple organ dysfunction and often death.
Heatstroke occurs when compensatory mechanisms for dissipating heat fail and core temperature increases substantially. Inflammatory cytokines are activated, and multiple organ dysfunction may develop.
Heatstroke is a condition caused by your body overheating, usually as a result of prolonged exposure to or physical exertion in high temperatures. This most serious form of heat injury, heatstroke, can occur if your body temperature rises to 104 F (40 C) or higher. The condition is most common in the summer months.
CAUSES OF HEARTSTROKE :
- Exposure to a hot environment
- Strenuous activity
- Wearing excess clothing
- Drinking alcohol
- Becoming dehydrated
RISK FACTORS OF HEARTSTROKE
Anyone can develop heatstroke, but several factors increase your risk:
- Exertion in hot weather.
- Sudden exposure to hot weather.
- A lack of air conditioning.
- Certain medications.
SYMPTOMS- Heatstroke signs and symptoms include:
- High body temperature.A core body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher, obtained with a rectal thermometer, is the main sign of heatstroke.
- Altered mental state or behavior.Confusion, agitation, slurred speech, irritability, delirium, seizures and coma can all result from heatstroke.
- Alteration in sweating.In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch. However, in heatstroke brought on by strenuous exercise, your skin may feel dry or slightly moist.
- Nausea and vomiting.Feel sick to your stomach or vomit.
- Flushed skin.Skin may turn red as your body temperature increases.
- Rapid breathing.Breathing may become rapid and shallow.
- Racing heart rate.Pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body.
HOMOEOPATHIC MANAGEMENT FOR HEARTSTROKE : In cases of heatstroke there are many effective medicines available in Homoeopathy, but the selection depends upon the individuality of the patient, considering mental and physical symptoms.
GLONOINUM: - Glonoinum is one of the top remedies for sunstroke where the patient has severe agonizing congestive headache with waves of terrible, pounding headache. Throbbing and bursting headache. Headache is better from sleep. Face becomes hot and red. Irritability and confusion of mind may be present.
VERATRUM ALB: - Veratrum alb is another top remedy for sunstroke. The patient may faint or collapsed due to hot weather. The face is pale with profuse and clammy sweat. Extreme coldness, especially of hands and feet is also experienced. The skin is cold as death.
AMYL NITROSUM: - Amyl nitrosum is prescribed where surging of blood to head and face occurs with fiery red face. Sensation as if blood would start through skin with heat and redness. Violent beating of the heart and carotids. The person has great anxiety, as if something bad might happen.
BELLADONNA: - Belladonna is another remedy for sunstroke with vascular headache. Throbbing, hammering headache, especial on temples, worse motion, better letting hair down, laying the hand on head, bending head backwards. Face is bright red, glassy eyed and the pupils are dilated. The pulse is strong and fast. No thirst, but has a dry mouth. The skin is bright red, hot and dry. Sometimes the person may faint due to weakness.
OPIUM: - Opium is effective for sunstroke with coma and fatigue. It should be tried after Belladonna.
GELSEMIUM: - Gelsemium is prescribed where patient feels dullness, drowsiness and confusion due to heatstroke. They may experience changes in vision and sore muscles. There is headache in back of head. Vertigo. Band feeling around head with heaviness of eyelids. Weakness and trembling of the body. The person is not thirsty. It is also good for as a preventive for the effects of heat of sun.
LAHESIS: - Lachesis is best for heat stroke with headache, especially on the left side, worse after waking from sleep. The patient is dizzy and may faint. Hot water greatly fatigues.
NATRUM MURIATICUM: - Natrum mur is prescribed for the chronic effects of sunstroke with headache, returning in hot weather. The person experiences debility and headache by sun heat.
NATRUM CARBONICUM: - Natrum carb is another remedy for chronic affection of heat stroke. There is extreme weakness due to hot weather, worse from a least exertion.