Bowen's disease is a form of cancer, which was found by Dr John Bowen. It is a type of Squamous Cell cancer of skin. What causes Bowen's disease? This cancerous disease may be caused by damage to skin due to exposure to sunlight, some chemicals such as Arsenic, and contact with some virus such as HPV (Human papillomavirus), or due to compromised immune system due to any major disease such as HIV infection.
SYMPTOMS OF BOWEN'S DISEASE
Bowen’s disease causes a person to develop slow growing skin lesions. The lesions may appear as red-brown patches or dry, scaly plaques.
These patches may also:
- bleed or ooze pus
- be tender to the touch
Other skin conditions that Bowen’s disease can resemble include:
- some other rashes
Sometimes, these skin lesions can become cancerous. For this reason, a person with Bowen’s disease should be aware of the signs that a skin lesion is cancerous. These signs include:
- hardening of a skin lesion
- a nodule that feels very tender to the touch
- the appearance of a flesh-colored nodule or lump
- a skin nodule that bleeds easily
If a person notices these changes to their skin, they should see a dermatologist immediately.
CAUSES OF BOWEN'S DISEASE
Doctors do not know the exact cause of Bowen’s disease, but they have identified some risk factors for the condition. These include:
- chronic arsenic exposure — arsenic may be present in contaminated well water and some manufacturing areas
- chronic sun exposure
- fair skin with significant sun exposure
- a history of human papillomavirus, particularly
- a weakened immune system, for example, in those who take steroids for extended periods, live with HIV, or have cancer
PREVENTION OF BOWEN'S DISEASE
Minimizing a person’s sun exposure can help reduce the likelihood that they will experience Bowen’s disease. Examples of steps to follow include:
- refraining from using tanning beds, which increase exposure to ultraviolet light
- avoiding working outdoors under direct sunlight
- wearing protective clothing when outdoors, including hats
- wearing sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 and reapplying it frequently
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR BOWEN'S DISEASE
Homeopathic therapies are different from conventional medicine in that the symptom or disease is treated. Homeopathy implements a wide range of methodologies in attempt to reestablish harmonic resonance in an individual. Essentially Homeopaths believe it is the person who can combat illness in the body and that everything else that can be added to the patient is merely an assist. For example, providing medicine to kill a cancerous tumor will not directly destroy the tumor, but the patient’s own immune-system will destroy the malignancy. Therefor the “whole person” needs to be treated or tuned in order to allow regeneration.